Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #311 
Gallium

If you end up with 0 nitrates the plants in the filter will generally show it pretty quickly. I like to keep ~5ppm nitrates in my tanks for best growth but the amount of nitrates can range from 0-20 in a healthy tank usually.

The plants are all terrestrial or semi-aquatic. I've got pohothos, arrowhead, philodendron, mondo grass, pace lily, and two young Bolbitis heteroclita in that particular filter right now. I had wandering jew and golden club but those were removed last week to make some rooting space for the bolbitis. I need to thin it out again, I'll probably cut back the pothos and remove some of the mondo grass bunches.

Usually just about anything can be rooted in the filters but if you want something long-term you'll want to get semi-aquatics or terrestrials that can handle wet feet.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 PM   #312 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
If you end up with 0 nitrates the plants in the filter will generally show it pretty quickly. I like to keep ~5ppm nitrates in my tanks for best growth but the amount of nitrates can range from 0-20 in a healthy tank usually.

The plants are all terrestrial or semi-aquatic. I've got pohothos, arrowhead, philodendron, mondo grass, pace lily, and two young Bolbitis heteroclita in that particular filter right now. I had wandering jew and golden club but those were removed last week to make some rooting space for the bolbitis. I need to thin it out again, I'll probably cut back the pothos and remove some of the mondo grass bunches.

Usually just about anything can be rooted in the filters but if you want something long-term you'll want to get semi-aquatics or terrestrials that can handle wet feet.
Nice! I've actually been having a problem recently ... Ever since I moved my plants from my 10g community to my 20gL, I've kept the same lighting, yet the plants have all died off except the java fern and java moss. I'm not sure why they died. Is it the depth of the tank? My water quality is fine and everything is under control. Any advice to spark up my plants again? My myrio green and bacopa carolinia turned from flourishing and green to mushy and black. I'm not sure what happened or what I did wrong ...
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #313 
AyalaCookiejar

What do you mean by same lighting? Do you have more watts? The depth of the tank makes a difference but you should have twice as many watts in a 20 than a 10... And it would make a difference in depth if its a 20 tall as opposed to a 20 long..
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #314 
Kiara1125

Well, I transferred the hood over. lol My tank doesn't have a lid [not enough money, but I'm working on it]. I have 2 CFLs from Menard's. They're these types.

I'm not sure how much of a difference the depth is, but no matter how short or tall the plants are, they die regardless ...
Old 05-31-2013, 11:28 PM   #315 
AyalaCookiejar

If the hood for the 10 fits the 20 it's probably a 20 tall... Depth does make a difference and it'd be about twice as deep. However two 40watt bulbs is 2watts per gallon. I'd guess that lighting is your issue since its the only thing that changed.

What is your photoperiod (how long are your lights on each day)? Have you tried increasing that?

The only other thing I can think of is acclimation. With the plants being moved and then having to adjust to different lighting might cause an issue. But I'm not a plant expert so hopefully the questions I have asked will help someone else more knowledgable give you a better answer :)

Edit: depth makes a difference because there's more water for the light to penetrate. It probably affects it regardless of the height of the plants.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #316 
Hadoken Kitty

Can you link the exact bulb that you would suggest for a 20H?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:41 PM   #317 
Kiara1125

Umm ... no. I need to buy a lid. It's a 20gL. I bought it from petsmart. The hood only covers the right side of the tank and it has to be at an angle to stay on. It covers the plants, but I need a lid so my fish don't jump and that the water doesn't evaporate as quickly. 3-5" in a week it goes down. O.o

My lights are on from 5:30 in the morning to 10:30 at night. I think I might have it on for too long since there's algae on the plants. It was never a problem in the 10g though. Same lights and time, different depth. Why?
Old 05-31-2013, 11:42 PM   #318 
AyalaCookiejar

Honestly I'm not sure if it makes a difference there since it says 40watt equivalent. I'd also ask someone more knowledgable on plants about watts per gallon for a deeper tank. (OldFishLady comes to mind.) But I know that you want 6500k daylight bulbs (I know those say daylight but I'm not sure if that means they are 6500k... I see the number 8000 on the side but the picture is blurry and I'm not sure what it's for).

Lol, I wish I could be more help but I don't want to give you misinformation since I'm not much of a plant person.

Edit: that's a crazy long time to have the lights on 0_0 I would message OFL and ask her, and maybe get some plexi glass to cover the other side of the tank for now. I also don't think the depth is much different from a 10 to a 20 long so it might be a different issue (acclimation?)

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 05-31-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #319 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
Umm ... no. I need to buy a lid. It's a 20gL. I bought it from petsmart. The hood only covers the right side of the tank and it has to be at an angle to stay on. It covers the plants, but I need a lid so my fish don't jump and that the water doesn't evaporate as quickly. 3-5" in a week it goes down. O.o

My lights are on from 5:30 in the morning to 10:30 at night. I think I might have it on for too long since there's algae on the plants. It was never a problem in the 10g though. Same lights and time, different depth. Why?
Different filter media? I know that algae can be introduced when there isn't enough BB to cover for it (or so I've read).

Also, Didn't OFL leave? I thought they just re-uploaded her stickies since there was such great information on them.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:46 PM   #320 
Kiara1125

OFL? Who's that? lol Anyways, yeah. I need the lights in order to wake up at 5am and I tend to stay up until 1-2am. I use the lights on the aquariums until I have the laptop's light to brighten up my room. xD I guess I can have them turn off when I leave for school [soon to be work]. Will that work?

Tags
bettathanyou