Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #321 
AyalaCookiejar

Algae also has to do with balance between ferts, lighting, and CO2. If you don't wipe the algae off the plants they will be deprived of light, and usually photoperiods are only 8-12 hours.

Edit: OFL is OldFishLady and I have light timers for all my tanks due to a crazy schedule that differs by day :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #322 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Different filter media? I know that algae can be introduced when there isn't enough BB to cover for it (or so I've read).

Also, Didn't OFL leave? I thought they just re-uploaded her stickies since there was such great information on them.
Well, I have an in-tank filter now, so I'd have to cut into the lid a bit. I know one difference is that my snails are gone. My goldfish ate them all. xD
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:49 AM   #323 
Kiara1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Algae also has to do with balance between ferts, lighting, and CO2. If you don't wipe the algae off the plants they will be deprived of light, and usually photoperiods are only 8-12 hours.
How do I wipe off the algae without damaging the plants? It's hard with Myrio green ...

And same about the timer. :P

Edit: I was just told that you can dip plants in hydrogen peroxide, because it kills the algae but somehow [it's magic! xD] doesn't kill the plants.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-01-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #324 
Hadoken Kitty

The lights need to be off more than three hours, lol.

Also, OFL is Old Fish Lady.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #325 
Kiara1125

My lights go off at 10:30. I get three hours of sleep. The fish get more sleep than I do! xD
Old 06-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #326 
AyalaCookiejar

I don't have Myrio green but I rub the plants gently and let the water settle and then siphon the tank.

Um, like I said in my last edit, I just bought light timers for my tanks lol. Also I don't know if OFL left? I know Sakura8 isn't active anymore but she does reply to PMs. I haven't talked to OFL in awhile but I'm not sure who else is more knowledgable with plants. Maybe Byron? I can't remember. There ARE other mods who are active on the TFK forums. I would maybe go there in the plant section.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:59 AM   #327 
Kiara1125

Yeah, I can't wipe off myrio green.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #328 
Gallium

I keep snails to keep the diatoms and detritus off the leaves. Snails get a pretty bad rap but quite unfairly..if you're having algae problems on the leaves I'd try some ramshorn, pond, or bladder snails. None of these snails will overpopulate unless you're overfeeding, and they're all easy to remove by hand if you need to.

It could be the plants melted from the direct change of tank. Even with the same lighting, you'll have a difference in depth, which affects the amount of light that reaches the leaves. The wattage is less important than how much actual light reaches the leaves, which depends on the height of the tank, how far the lights are from the top of the tank itself, the wattage, and in some cases the color temp (but color temp is more about us enjoying the light, as the plants can grow in a much wider color temp than most of us use).

From what I understand, you're saying that you moved all the plants to the new tank right? If you exposed the roots, or there was a temperature or ph shock that can cause the plants to melt. If this the same tank that has 0 nitrates?

Sorry, went to eat dinner.

Edit:
Hydrogen peroxide is used for killing BBA. It actually can kill the plants leaves if you leave it in the dip too long, but usually it's pretty harmless to them. You can use a syringe to squirt problem areas on plants you can't take out to dip, as hydrogen peroxide is harmless in its broken down form and it basically just turns into water.

Last edited by Gallium; 06-01-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #329 
Kiara1125

It's ok.:P

I had pond snails and they were GREAT with algae. I love them! My goldfish ate them all so I can't keep them in the tank. Nerites are too fat and lazy to eat algae off my plants.

I'm not sure what the nitrates of this tank is. The plants decreased over a period of months. The bacopa and myrio green were new. The myrio green died within a week. The temperature and pH were the same, so it can't be a shock. I transferred everything from the 10g to the 20gL. All my rotala died as well. My goldfish only eat dead plants, but they're becoming more abundant ...

How would you suggest squirting it onto the plants in the tank? I have a syringe.

Last edited by Kiara1125; 06-01-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:11 AM   #330 
Gallium

What were the symptoms as they died off? (yellowing, brown spots, curled tips, etc) because it could have been some kind of deficiency. I have a 55g goldfish tank and they eat all the snails soo, so I raise pond snails in buckets outside and once every two weeks or so I just dump a handful of them in the tank after feeding the goldfish and they clean up pretty well. The goldfish eat them off in 2-3 days or so but they usually get all the work done by then. Maybe try growing some in a spare bucket or two?
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou