Betta Fish Forum banner

Planted Tank Show and Tell!!

612K views 3K replies 499 participants last post by  Dobby 
#1 ·
Lately I have noticed a lot of people showing off their planted tanks, figured it might be a good idea to have them all in one place.
Also, I am trying to get some ideas for rescaping my 26 bowfront sorority. I'd love to see everyone else's tanks and find out what all you have going on with them!

Reactions: mjfa
#251 ·
LOL. The Super Pug does shed, but that would be WAY too much of her hair in the tank. She'd be bald!

Anyways, I think it's because of the current in there. I have 3 bubblers/removed the baffle from my filter to create extra O2 while treating for ich.

#252 ·
TY I hope he gets better too petco gave him too us because we tend to buy the sickly ones and nurse them back to health if we can sometime we do and other times we don't and when we don't we bring them back and exchange for another sickly one, so she took pity on us on the receipt it says fish donation/adoption my girlfriend just about started crying when she said we were not being charged for the fish. I wish we could rescue them all but we just can't we do as much as we can

#253 ·
10 gallon tank - one male crowntail betta, Dubya, with his 3 African dwarf frog tankmates.

Sponge filter, 50 w heater
El cheapo work light from the hardware store, with 13 w CFL. Photo period 10 hours per day
Gravel substrate
Driftwood

Flora:
Cryptocoryne parva
Java moss
Java fern
Echinodoras tenellus, pygmy chain sword
Echinodorus compacta
Vallisneria spiralis, spiral vals
Cabomba
Hygrophila corymbosa stricta
Hygrophila difformis, water wisteria
Ludwigia repens
Pennywort (floating)
Salvinia minima, water spangles (floating)
Frogbit (floating)

Fertilize twice weekly, alternating Fourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. Root tabs for the swords and crypt

#260 ·
10 gallon tank - one male crowntail betta, Dubya, with his 3 African dwarf frog tankmates.

Sponge filter, 50 w heater
El cheapo work light from the hardware store, with 13 w CFL. Photo period 10 hours per day
Gravel substrate
Driftwood

Flora:
Cryptocoryne parva
Java moss
Java fern
Echinodoras tenellus, pygmy chain sword
Echinodorus compacta
Vallisneria spiralis, spiral vals
Cabomba
Hygrophila corymbosa stricta
Hygrophila difformis, water wisteria
Ludwigia repens
Pennywort (floating)
Salvinia minima, water spangles (floating)
Frogbit (floating)

Fertilize twice weekly, alternating Fourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. Root tabs for the swords and crypt

Gorgeous tank!

#255 ·
Thanks for the compliment.

No, I haven't had diatoms in this tank. It's about 2 years old and has been planted for about a year.

There's always some green algae on the filter tube, but for the most part, there are so many plants, they out-compete the algae.

I don't dose any carbon boosters because of the vals in most of my tanks. Vals melt really easily when you add carbon boosters.

And I don't inject CO2 either. All my tanks are very low tech, and I'm pretty merciless about ripping out a plant that doesn't perform well.

#256 ·
well, heres an updated picture of my 28.
I added co2 a week or two ago, and added some new types of stems: bacopa australis, ludwigia ovalis, myrio mattogrossense, telanthera, baby tears (regular), and rotala magenta. Oh, and 2 bunches of ludwigia repens.
seems like most everything is really starting to take off besides the telanthera, it had a lot of melt, I'm thinking it was because it had to change from emersed to submersed form. The rotala magenta seems to be having some issues as well, but not to where I need to pull it.

If anyone is looking for a great place to buy plants online, i highly recommend peabody's paradise LLC - (google it) -- they have amazing plants, send you much longer and more plants in a bunch than you would get most ther places, and they all looked fantastic.
I've never been so happy with a plant order. -- they literally came in with 8-12 stems per bunch and all but the baby tears were atleast 8" tall.

#257 ·
Divided 10g, houses two male Bettas. Currently only one Java Fern and one Medium Sword, but you will see plants in other tanks that will soon be transferred to make them a jungle :)

10g with two Golden Mystery Snails. Baby/sick plants tank. 7 Medium Swords, 2 Green Cabomba, 1 Anubias, 1 Jungle Valisneria, 1 Java Fern, 1 Water Wisteria.

5g containing one littler blind girl that didn't do well in sorority life. Currently only one little Java Fern, soon to be a few more plants, but not too many- I don't want to confuse her :)

My big tank... 10 girl sorority with 5 Cories in it. Too many plants to count, they seem to multiply daily, but I'll at least name the types! Water Wisteria, Medium Sword, Green Cabomba, Jungle Valisneria, Corkscrew Valisneria, "Mystery Plant(s)".

#259 ·
Lucky and Ivan are in "twin" Aqueon Evolve 4s. I had to stick a sheet of blue plastic between them to keep them from flaring at each other constantly.

Lucky's re-scape at the end of March

Ivan's re-scape, also end of March

Papa Smurf in his planted bowl (yes, it's heated)

#264 · (Edited)

i got a new light for my existing tank this week... and wow! that frogbit was struggling for life with no root whatsoever for ages, it's really been exploding! i'm hoping this is a sign of lots of new growth to come from the rest of my plants too, and i'm giving my poor little nub of a bananna plant a try again to see if it likes the new light better. trimmed a double fistful of java moss off the driftwood yesterday because it was getting full of cyanobacteria, but now the back of the tank looks pretty bare... i'd appreciate any suggestions for tall things to stick back there, maybe something red, there's going to be a lot of empty space once i put that extra filter into my new tank next month.

#265 · (Edited)
They aren't the neatest tanks in the world. They used to be, until the shrimp decided they wanted dirt on top of the sand instead of under it. I don't really mind all that much. Gives it more of a "natural" look and it doesn't hurt anything. Without further ado, my two 5 gallons. (Note: my moss balls look brown because I just turned them, and there's dirt on them.)

Tank #1: 5 gallons, 1 sponge filter, 1 submersible heater, Rotala, Anubia Nana, Dwarf Sag, Duckweed, Java Moss, Green Crypt, Marimo Moss Ball
Lifestock: Chronos the Veil-Tail Slightly-Mustard-Gas Betta
4 Amano Shrimp
1 Nerite Snail
1 Unknown Snail that snuck in on a plant. When we discovered
him, he was the size of a pinhead, now he's as large as the
Nerite.

Tank #2: 5 gallons, 1 sponge filter, 1 submersible heater, Rotala, Anubia, Duckweed, Java Moss, Green Crypt, Anacharis, Micro-Sword, Narrow-Leaf Java Fern, Marimo Moss Ball
Lifestock: Echo the Dragonscale Plakat Betta
5 Amano Shrimp
1 Nerite Snail

#269 ·
are those Hawkeye tanks? if so then I have the same ones and have been wondering what plants can be grown with the light? did you use the same light the kit came with of did you replace it? if you replaced it what light are you using?

#266 · (Edited)

This is my older 10 gallon. All the plants are common ones you can get at any large pet store with the exception of microphyllium sp. I recently started rebuilding in a 30g show tank. Long, tall, and narrow. Hopefully it'll come out looking like this tank did! I'm incorporating more mosses, anubias, and a trident leaf java fern. It'll house my sorority when I find compatible females for it.

#267 ·
Whoops, ran out of editing time to explain the tank.

-Extremely low tech (No c02, no ferts)
-low light tropical tank (20w strip, 78F)
-Ghost & cherry shrimp, neon tetras, albino cherry barb, ramshorn, mini ramshorn, pond, and bladder snails.
The plants are all common petshop plants, with the exception of microphyllium sp. in the far left. The valisinera was attacked by BBS algae so I mowed it down in the second photo and you can see my ugly filter haha.

#275 ·
Thank you. It was a constant job keeping them nice, and they were never as nice as what I wanted. They would look good for a while, then not...it was way more frustrating than pleasurable because I got carried away and had tanks plugged into every socket! My DH wanted to strangle me. Now I have birds lining my walls...he can't win.:p
To answer the question of the person from the other thread, most all of the lighting was always T-5's.

#277 · (Edited)
On the question of CO2, the only tank that used CO2 was the 20L in post 272. I hated it, as the fish I like to keep were not doing well with it. I still have my set up, but I do not think I will ever use it. I did use excel and ferts. Lighting was all T-5's. Some of the smaller single tanks may have been CFL's. Thank you!

#281 ·
its a coralife mini I think, its only 11in longs. he said he just changed the bulbs but he is probably just trying to get the most money he can for it...