Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2014, 09:05 PM   #831 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree View Post
Ahh cool! thanks for the tip!
Hahahaha yeah the dude gave me A LOT! the rest is in a ZIP bag. I had enough to place in my sisters betta tank. I have a LFS near by that I will give it to. she has Gold fish.

Now dumping the duckweed in the cold will kill it right? I dumped some of it in the snow when I did a water change.
Don't dump live duckweed. Duckweed is just that, a weed. And in some areas it is an invasive species. I just put mine in a little bowl without water and leave it to dry out. Once it is dried out, I wrap it in some paper towels, close it in a ziplock bag and toss it.

Another idea for use of duckweed, if you have omnivores, get some plain gelatin, your duckweed and some flake fish food. Blend it all together and freeze in an ice cube tray. Now you have fish food!
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:02 PM   #832 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
Don't dump live duckweed. Duckweed is just that, a weed. And in some areas it is an invasive species. I just put mine in a little bowl without water and leave it to dry out. Once it is dried out, I wrap it in some paper towels, close it in a ziplock bag and toss it.

Another idea for use of duckweed, if you have omnivores, get some plain gelatin, your duckweed and some flake fish food. Blend it all together and freeze in an ice cube tray. Now you have fish food!
Even the cold weather wont kill it? wow well I am sticking with the Microwave. =P easier for me.
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #833 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Even the cold weather wont kill it? wow well I am sticking with the Microwave. =P easier for me.
I don't think so. I've read of people shipping duckweed in below freezing weather and it made it alive.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #834 
Mommagalicia

This is our first foray into plants. If these stay alive I will probably order some anubias nana and maybe a floater of some sort. We got a banana plant, marimo moss ball, and Java fern. I tied the java fern to the Gary statue. Is that ok? Should I order some kind of fertilizer for these plants? I hope someday I can have a beautiful tank like the ones I've seen here!
Attached Images

Mommagalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:27 PM   #835 
kman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I don't think so. I've read of people shipping duckweed in below freezing weather and it made it alive.
Considering duckweed is still there in the wild on ponds when the ice thaws, I'd have to agree.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #836 
Heifzilla

Quote:
Ahh cool! thanks for the tip!
Hahahaha yeah the dude gave me A LOT! the rest is in a ZIP bag. I had enough to place in my sisters betta tank. I have a LFS near by that I will give it to. she has Gold fish.

Now dumping the duckweed in the cold will kill it right? I dumped some of it in the snow when I did a water change.
Tree, send me some of that duckweed! I can't find anyone local that has any. I can pay for shipping. Just stick it in an envelope :)
Heifzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:42 PM   #837 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heifzilla View Post
Tree, send me some of that duckweed! I can't find anyone local that has any. I can pay for shipping. Just stick it in an envelope :)
Sure! Message me your address and I will mail the rest to you. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Considering duckweed is still there in the wild on ponds when the ice thaws, I'd have to agree.
Oh good point! =O
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #838 
copperarabian

my Fluval spec, a friend of mine is also bringing more plants over today that I'll be attaching to the driftwood.

and my planted 17g , it was struggling before but about a month ago I started using liquid fertilizer, liquid CO2, and root tabs. The plants now are growing quickly an doing awesome!

Last edited by copperarabian; 01-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #839 
FishyFishy89

Copper, why dont I see your pictures? :,(

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #840 
tlatch89

Cleaned up and trimmed my wisteria. I think I'm just going to let everything grow for a few months now that I have the tank the way I want it.

Last edited by tlatch89; 01-30-2014 at 01:22 AM.
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettathanyou