Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #21 
southafrica1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falina
Quote:
Originally Posted by southafrica1001
paws it depends on the fish you have but maybe lowering will be better not sure lol i know that my livebearers need slitly acidic water, and my betta does fine in it
Don't know if it's just a wee typo or not, but livebearers, though usualy adaptable, generally prefer harder alkaline water, not soft acidic water.
thanks falina, whoops i just thought the acidic because i had a major die out in my first batch, but it was obviusly no cycling or overstocking or not enough oxygen. is it still safe to keep my water slightly acidic?
southafrica1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #22 
girls_interrupted

I am cycling a fishless tank. My betta is sadly in a 1 gallon bowl for now. I was told here never take him out of his bowl to do water changes. But i see That you said that you should do a complete water change onecce a week with a lil 1 gallon bowl.

How can i change his water without stressing him out and keep a clean ammonia free bowl?
girls_interrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #23 
Cody

To have the least amount of stress, it may help by changing 10-20% of the water everyday instead of 100% a week since you plan on upgrading. You can use a Turkey Baster to suck up detrius (waste, etc).
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:56 PM   #24 
paws

Casper seems the be swimming up and down the sides of the tank. He is not flaring. But he has his nose touching the glass. He does this a lot and he looks like he is having fun. He just goes up and down and up and down, all the way to the top then to the bottom. Please tell me what he is doing.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:22 PM   #25 
jeaninel

Sounds like he's just excersizing himself! Maybe he's bored.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:12 PM   #26 
paws

how do i make him interested?
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #27 
jeaninel

Spend a few moments with him each day (you probably already do this). See if he'll eat a pellet from your hand or chase your finger along the tank. I've even heard of some people floating a ping pong ball in the tank for the Betta to push around. Although, that may depend on your betta. It might freak him out.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #28 
mritter

Filter for Betta

I was reading in regards to the basic necessities for Bettas and I have met all but the ph level and alkalinty levels as well as a light filter. I have been trying to find information on a brand of filter. I would normally go in and ask the petstore staff for that information, but as soon as I mention that I have a betta, they immediately tell me that I can't put a filter in. The betta resides in a 10 gallon tank with three cory catfish, is there a particular brand of filter that has a low flow that someone can recommend?

I am planning on heading to the pet store and picking up a Ph decreaser to bring the ph level down to a more acceptable level for the betta, so that will take care of that issue.

Any help or advice in this regard would be greatly appreciated
mritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:13 PM   #29 
Cody

Whisper internal filter's generally have a pretty low flow. I have a 10i in a 5G (made for 10G), and the flow is heavy on side, but pretty relaxed on another. I would think tis would be fine for a 10G, espically with a betta.

If not that, Aquaclear HOB filters have an adjustable flow rate that helps a lot. I wouldn;t go less than an AC50 though.
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:35 PM   #30 
Kiwinga

Hi all! not sure if this is the right place to post this. So I just got a betta yesterday.I bought flakes for him cause thats what the lady at the store recommended but he doesnt seem to be eating them.Should I go buy him the pellets? Also I have him in a fish bow,do they make heaters for fish bowls?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Kiwinga is offline   Reply With Quote