Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #1 
Hadoken Kitty

Overstocked/limited space (Advice PLEASE)

Alright, so something happened that I wasn't planning for. Two females out of a six female sorority turned out to be males. I took them out and now they're in their own tanks. Here's the issue, though. The only thing I can do with now is three-way split my previous breeding/fry development 10 gallon. I have my 20 gallon still. I guess what I want to ask is: is there a way for me to use this same tank for breeding/fry development/grow out? I was prepped for everything on the breeding side until now. I know that my 20 gallon should be cycled for grow out, but now I don't know how that would work if it was to be used for breeding/development/grow out. Just buy a tub from Walmart for the breeding then?

I hate today. -.-
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

2 extra males? . . . you can jar them and float them in the sorority.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Yea. I had one extra to begin with that I was just going to get another small tank for, but now that I have these two extra ones (now three extra males). This is why I suggested the three way divider for my breeding tank that isn't being used right now.

Is there a way for a single tank to be used for all steps of fry development? I think I read of someone using another method, like a bowl or something?
Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

You can use the 20g until fry are 2 months. Keep up with water changes if you have hundreds of fry. I totally clean my tanks every month of their development.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:57 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

No way you can keep adults and fry together. Maybe use a large breeder trap or whatever and keep them in the sorority.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:28 PM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

I guess maybe I'm not asking the question right, since keeping adults and fry together was never my intention. I guess I'll ask the question differently. I think that I have my answer now, but I'll ask again, since apparently I'm not really asking it right. Sorry if I confused you Matt.

I will only be breeding one pair at a time. I will grow out the same pair's fry and sell them all before breeding my next pair. With that being said:

Is it acceptable to use a 20 gallon to breed with and then raise fry in? This would eliminate the need for using multiple tanks.

I would start with a lower water level for the breeding (as usual) and remove the female when done. Once the fry are free swimming, I plan to add more water and continue raising the water level to accommodate the demands of the fry. Also, I will also be removing the male and putting him back in whatever tank was originally his. The males from the spawn (once old enough to differentiate between male and female) will be housed in separate container from all of the females.

Since the tank would not be cycled, would multiple tank cleanings be an acceptable alternative to a pre-cycled grow-out tank?

If none of this is feasible, then I will simply purchase a tub from Walmart. Though I would find it beneficial to not spend money on something that I can work around, if able to.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #7 
aemaki09

Yes it's completely possible.
I would try it with all the 20 opened up first, an if the pair gets too distracted, put a divider in it and take it out after the pair is out of the tank.

You will need something larger than a 20 as a grow-out though eventually
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #8 
Hadoken Kitty

What would you suggest? I was going by the stickies under this section of the forum for advice, and was hoping the minimum would be okay for a first spawn, since I know I will be able to get rid of a lot of them very quickly.

I have spoken with the owner of a mom and pop LFS who is very interested in purchasing a large amount from me (the ones that will not be sold on AB, etc). As far as culling, a classmate of mine wants as many fish as I will give her for feeding her carnivorous pets. For these reasons, I wasn't thinking that space would be an issue, but now I am worried.

Thank goodness for such kind people like you guys. Not sure where I'd be. I'm a mess as it is, apparently. :P
Old 02-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #9 
aemaki09

I think about 40 gallons is the recommended to use as grow-out. But I think if you maybe had 2 20's that would work as well.

What I am planning to use is just a large plastic storage container, I think the hold close to 50 gallons, and do fine with a heater.

You will still need to keep the ones that arent culled in a grow-out for atleast a month before they can be sold. 1.5 in spawn tank 1.5+ in grow-out. It all depends on spawn size and number culled. I only have a spawn of 30, so a 20-30 gallon tank would work if I did constant water changes. But you have to think that an average spawn numbers atleast 100+, 100 in a 20 gallon tank as a grow out? Think about all that waste they will produce.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #10 
Hadoken Kitty

This is true.....where are you getting your storage container? ?