Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1 
paris38

Should I Rescue???

Hey everyone! My male betta Mango has recently passed away,(S.I.P Mango)so I have an empty 5 gallon that needs a fish. :)Anyway I was thinking maybe I would rescue a betta and put it in there.This would be my first rescue so I probably wouldn't get a real sick one, but I was wondering if you guys had any tips or stuff I should know or if I should do it.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

What you will need depends on what's wrong with the fish you get but every new fish needs, clean, warm, conditioned water & a tank that's decent sized. It doesn't hurt to add a little aq salt for the 1st few days to a week. You may want other meds on hand in case the fish needs them. IMO, purchasing a fish from a store is not rescuing & rescuing doesn't always mean getting a sick fish.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #3 
registereduser

I agree, every fish purchased from a store is a rescued fish. You are saving it from a death right there in the store or from someone who doesn't care how they keep the fish.

My first rescue, a free fish, died in 2 days. He was really sick but I wanted to try. My second rescue I paid for. His only problem was half his anal fin was gone. I just keep him in water with stresscoat and it is growing back. I don't think anyone else would have bought him because of that fin. I did try to get him for free but the wrong manager was on duty that night
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #4 
VJM

Look on craigslist. You have to be patient, but roughly every four to six weeks someone posts free bettas to rehome. Also, be sure to check the classifieds here.

In the meantime, you can get your tank super clean and then start it cycling, so it's all ready for a Betta that needs it.

There is a thread active on rescuing bettas. Give it a read if you get the time.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #5 
paris38

Thanks for the replys everyone!I will definently take to mind what you guys have said and check out thet thread.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #6 
blu the betta

good luck! :)
blu the betta is offline   Reply With Quote