Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1 
jadaBlu

Preventing siphon accidents during water change

I bought a siphon I've never used one before. I had fish tank years ago(not bettas) when I changed the water I always did 100% changes and rinsed the gravel. I used a pond pump to empty and stuck my fish in another container. I gather that is not the thing to do. I read that it's best to leave your fish in the tank while doing the partial change. However, I read on fish emergencies that some sucked up their betta into the siphon and it severely injured the fish. Some I am wondering if I could put cheese cloth with a rubber band over the siphon and still get a clean tank or somehow add protection to prevent this. It should not happen as I made sure to locate both of my tanks next to a sink (bathroom and kitchen) so water changes would be very easy.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #2 
OrangeAugust

You could put pantyhose over the opening. If you have live plants this might not get the tank as clean as you want it because you won't be able to suck up much plant debris. But if you don't have any live plants, I think it will do the job.
OrangeAugust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #3 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
I bought a siphon I've never used one before. I had fish tank years ago(not bettas) when I changed the water I always did 100% changes and rinsed the gravel. I used a pond pump to empty and stuck my fish in another container. I gather that is not the thing to do. I read that it's best to leave your fish in the tank while doing the partial change. However, I read on fish emergencies that some sucked up their betta into the siphon and it severely injured the fish. Some I am wondering if I could put cheese cloth with a rubber band over the siphon and still get a clean tank or somehow add protection to prevent this. It should not happen as I made sure to locate both of my tanks next to a sink (bathroom and kitchen) so water changes would be very easy.
I am not sure if covering the siphon will accomplish the original intent of vacuuming the substrate to remove left over food and excretion.

If this is strictly for removing water, yes, I guess covering it will work. But you can use a $0.25 Solo cup to do the job of water removal assuming your tank is <10g?

If this is for cleaning purposes, I'd say use a mesh with the largest size opening possible to cover the siphon. You can get it in a craft store.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 
Jorjor2

Or you could use one with a grid. I use the The biOrb siphon and it's worked out well for me, that i use for the temporary 1 gallons and it will only suck up the gunk, no gravel or fish.

Last edited by Jorjor2; 02-21-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Jorjor2 is offline   Reply With Quote