Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 03:44 AM   #1 
sandybottom
Reference Team

sun sun on a 5 gallon?

been looking at filters for a week straight. i ordered a mr.aqua 5.2 gallon rimless. looking at my options for a canister filter,so i can have lily pipes. i was looking at the zoo med 501 and the finnex px-360. they are about $50. i know it would be horrible overkill, but would a sun sun 302 with a ball valve work even better? i also found some tubing converters so i can have 13" lily pipes. thinking that it would almost double my water volume.the sun sun costs about $55. so what do you guys think?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:58 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

For a 20Lg or 29g with shoals of fish and some exquisite individuals, I think it'd be great.

But, with great respect, I wonder if this might be too much for a Betta and a few friends.

A sponge filter is all you need---perhaps a few plants. In fact, because this is for a long-finned fish (?), this may be the preferred solution. HOBs and canisters---both of which require power- heads---are problematical in a Betta tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:51 AM   #3 
waterdog

I agree with Hallyx. I understand what you are trying to do, but for a betta in a 5 gallon I forsee this setup becoming a washing machine to a betta.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

the ball valve is to adjust the flow. it can be done to the output only. by doing this the inflow slows too. i really don't want an ugly sponge filter in my rimless nano. she's a crown tail, she can handle a little currant.i happen to have a sun sun already. maybe i should experiment. without involving pinky at first.not trying to be stubborn. just really want to experiment. the plan was to eventually link my 3 small tanks on the one sun sun. don't know for sure yet as there is the possibility of contamination between the tanks as far as disease.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:11 AM   #5 
acitydweller

I run the finnex p 360 on my 5.5 gallon tank. The filter comes with a series of elbows and tubing to help make return flow much less than it normally would be. i find this filter to be very easy to maintain and relatively quiet while hanging on the back of the tank. I am happy with this filter.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #6 
sandybottom
Reference Team

this was the top contender until i realized that i cost the same as the sun sun. still a possibility. i think i would need 13mm lily pipes for that one. i think the zoo med 501 uses the 9mm or 10mm pipes. the small canisters have to be on the same level as the tank to work correctly. also don't want an ugly filter sitting out. i am going for the clean look with glass. i want to get an inline heater for it for this reason. there will be just the lily pipes and the fuge ray led on top.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #7 
sarahspins

I have a Finnex 360 running in a 4 gallon tank.. I wouldn't put a betta in there, the flow is too strong. I keep shrimp in that tank, no fish. I love the filter.. it really does a great job of keeping the water crystal clear, and my plants in the tank are doing really well with the flow it provides (I also inject CO2 in that tank).

I have several Zoo Med 501's.. I have two 10g tanks with them and my petco 6.6 has one with a modified spray bar (I drilled the holes a little bigger - this slows the flow a lot). If you get the turtle version it's only about $35 on amazon.. I think the only difference is the aquarium one comes with the hanging bracket that sells for about $12, otherwise they are the same and you can save yourself $12 if you don't need the hanger :) The flow is a little gentler from this one than the finnex since it puts out 16gph less... plus 9mm lily pipes are cheaper than the 13mm, and something else to consider is the HEIGHT of those pipes.. the only 9mm pipes I've found are short, but I can't find any 13mm besides the Cal Aqua (which aren't in stock anywhere) that are short enough to fit on my 4 gallon tank.

As of right now I don't have lily pipes on any of my tanks.. it doesn't bother me that much to be able to see the filter hardware. I am going to be putting them on my 4 gallon as soon as I can buy the cal aqua pipes though.

I would really not consider the sun sun for a tank taht small - yes you can restrict the flow but you're really not supposed to go down more than 50% and that is still a LOT of flow in a 5 gallon tank... the 501 or 360 would still be a lot of flow for a betta tank and to be honest I'm not sure it would work... it's fine with my plakats in their 10g tanks, but they don't have extra finnage to deal with.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #8 
sandybottom
Reference Team

ever tried a ball valve on your px-360?
Old 02-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #9 
sandybottom
Reference Team

my 5 gallon is 12" tall.and i still don't want a filter i can see or my kids can tinker with.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #10 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i now know that only the 9mm will work for lily pipes. misread the dimensions somehow.