Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 07:09 PM   #1 
bettafishforever22

Question What is this? DROPSY? PREGNANT FISH? D:

I'm getting a little scared now... I just bought a new fish at a pet store Yet when I put her into her new home, I saw this little bump underneath the stomach or something. She has been acting strange, the next day she was all swimming and darting so fast here and there! What is happening to my fish?
Attached Images

bettafishforever22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #2 
osromatra

She's bloated/constipated probably. I would fast her a few days, and when you restart feeding her, use a good quality pellet, such as New Life Spectrum or Omega One. ANd I would do like, one pellet, ease her into it. What are you feeding her now? Does she have a heater in her tank? How big is it, and how often do you change the water?

Bettas do not livebear like guppies or whatnot, and I doubt she is full of eggs.
osromatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

Have you fed her? If so, what brand of food, and how much? If she ate too much, she may just need a day or two of fasting.

Have you seen her poop? If so, what color was it? (It should be red-brown. If it is white or stringy, it can indicate parasites.)

Does she just swim fast, or does she try to brush against her decorations? (Brushing against decorations is another sign that she may have parasites.)

How did you introduce her to her new home? There are a lot of variations that can be used to slowly introduce a fish to its new tank. Here is one variation:
  1. Leave her in the cup that he came in. Float the cup in the tank for about 20 min.
  2. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  3. Let his cup float for at least 15 min.
  4. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  5. Repeat steps 2-4, until at LEAST an hour has passed. More time is fine! Going slower is never a problem.
  6. Gently release her into the tank.

Use a similar process whenever you change the water in his tank:
  1. Note the temperature of the water.
  2. Using a plastic cup, scoop her, along with some of his water, into the cup.
  3. Clean out the tank. Refill with water at the SAME temp. Be sure to add the correct amount of water conditioner.
  4. Float his cup in the tank for about 15 min.
  5. Add a SMALL amount of NEW water to the cup. (Several tablespoons, or about 1.5 ounces.)
  6. Let the cup float for about 10 min.
  7. Remove a SMALL amount of water from the cup. Discard it.
  8. Repeat steps 5-7, until about an hour has passed.
  9. Gently release her into the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote