Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #11 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMorning View Post
Welcome to the forums! My first experience, hmm...I think i was probably around 7 or 8, and i think my mom bought me a neon tetra or a guppy, i dont remember, or maybe it was a goldfish. It was a little tank, i had a filter and an air pump with some gravel and decoration. Ever since that day, it has been non-stop fish crazy, but i could never keep them alive, they just kept dying. Finally, when i was a teenager, i saved up enough money to buy a big tank and bought my first baby oscar, i think i had that guy for a couple years, the most out of all my fishes. He was about 3" inches when i first got him, and when i gave him away to the petstore, he was about 9" inches. That was a very sad day for me, i almost cried, lol.

Anyway, it's been about a good 7-8 years hiatus since my first pet, it's nice to be back. In a way, it's a good thing, i'm a much more mature and knowledgeable pet enthusiast now.
thank you! thank you for taking time out of your day to post here! neon tetras are pretty little fish aren't they? hehe so are guppies! and goldfish are such cuties, they never fail to amuse me
buying your first oscar with your own money, what an accomplishment! haha i would have cried if i had to give him away too
i always tend to become very attached to my pets
i'm sure he was a very happy fish under your care why did you have to give him away?
jennydlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #12 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
i took home a 10 gallon tank along with some goldfish, a box filter and some rubber airline tube and an airpump from pet land discounts. i was told i have everytying i needed, including fish flakes.... everyone was dead over the course of the week thereafter. felt like a murderer... while pet land discounts closed a nice sale off me.
no dont feel like a murderer
sounds like you really tried to do things right
when i bought a fish the first time, i didn't even bother to get a filter or a ten gallon.. so don't feel bad :)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #13 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
I was a kid and my dad brought home a 10 gallon tank and some swordfish. That same night one of them started having babies and the rest ate them. Dad was panicked and I think mom may have cried! LOL
LOL! That made me laugh
What was your reaction to them eating the babies? Hahahaha
Your parents must have liked the baby fish a lot! haha
Old 02-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #14 
ao
TFK Moderator

mine...
back in highschool...
A small jar, a plant, and a feeder mosquito fish. funny. the mosquito fish even gave birth.

after that I did a quart jar, and two feeder rosy red minnows. they survived for a few months then died when my grandma added tap water to their jar.

Now... I still keep large jars and mini tanks... the only difference is... I know what I'm doing...
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:08 AM   #15 
Saphira101

Welcome to the forum!! I was overwhelmed when I first joined too, so don't worry, it fades.

Let's see.......

My first experience EVER was when I was 2 and my parents had a few goldfish... I don't really remember that too well though. My first BETTA experience was, well, not so good.

My brother received a Betta for his birthday, along with a 1/2 gallon tank, water conditioner, and some flake food. and, oh yeah, a super-sharp plastic plant & gravel. -_-

It was a gorgeous metallic blue VT, and he named it Fred. we never did water changes, and the house was freezing. We had no heater. The plant began to rust, but we didn't know that was bad so we left it. We only fed Fred once a week, and never did water changes. At some point or another, Fred died.

About seven years later, I joined this forum and got Winter and Peach. (they got a divided 10 gallon, thankfully) This was about six months ago. Then I got Merlin, back in October. Then Pi, for X-mas. About two days ago, I got Tesla. All of my fishies are well.

Good luck on your own fishy!! ~Saphira
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping....

Nice to meet you...

LOL OFL! you can do better than that! Tell us your story!
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #18 
registereduser

My earliest fish memory was back in the 60's. We were out one night and came home to find a dried up swordtail that had jumped out of our tank and onto the livingroom carpet. I remember the tank being moved to the diningroom after that

As kids we had swords, guppies, some kissing fish and some angel fish, cories and otos and my brother even had a piranha for awhile.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote