Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #1 
MomaDragonfly

Red face Need advice please

Im new to this page and new to owing a Betta. I was like most other people thinking they could be kept in a small bowl. My betta has been living in a 1 gallon bowl for three days now. It seemed very unhappy (don't know the sex, as I don't know how to tell the difference) I opted for an ungrade and purchased a Tetra 5 Gal tank that came with a "whisper mirco filter". Im not sure how to proceed next with the tank transition. I also got two plants.. A banana plant and not sure what the other is but its rooted plant, bought from the local pet store. Also, a aqua clear heater 25 watts. I filled the tank with water treated with drops to illimnate any bad stuff in the tap water and tank has been running on the third out of 4th power setting. I don't know what to do next. The petstore did say that I should put the entires gallon from the bowl the betta is in now into the new tank. But how should I do the temp change from the two, I don't want to shock or harm the Betta. Also, I don't know anything about the filter and am afraid after reading some things online it may harm the fish by sucking it in or it getting trapped agaisnt it. Anyone, please help a new comer to the wonderful world of Bettas. Thanks so much!!!
MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #2 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

It's okay most of us made mistakes when we first got into bettas but it is great that you have bought him such a nice big tank and a heater!!!!! He will love you for it I would get him out of the 1 gallon and into the 5 gallon as soon as possible. Just place him and some water from his one gallon tank into a plastic bag and float it in his new 5 gallon for about an hour. At approximately every 10 minutes add a little of the water in his 5 gallon into his bag and continue to do so for an hour. Then gently scoop him up in your hand and put him in the 5 gallon tank. Do NOT add the water from the bag into his new tank. If you do all of this he should be fine but what exactly do you mean when you say he has been looking unhappy? Do you think he is sick, if so we may be able to tell you what is wrong with him if you post a picture of him. It may simply be that he is feeling a bit unwell because his water conditions in the 1 gallon were far from ideal and he may be cold if the 1 gallon was not heated. Give him some time to settle into his new tank and he will probably pick up. Goodluck
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 AM   #3 
MomaDragonfly

The first day in the 1 gal tank I got "betta water" from the local petstore rather then using treated tap water and he was swimming all around and seemed pleased. The second day wasn't as active, and last night and this morning he was just very still on the bottom of the bowl. Hes been swimming around a bit, but Ive never seen a fish of any kind be perfectly still like that. It just seemed a little odd. The temp in the new tank is at 76 right now. I have some bags to use for putting in the new tank. Im scared of the filter too. i don't know if its to strong or if it will harm the Betta. Reading that they can get sucked into it freaked me out a little bit. Thank you for the advice!!! I would post a pic, but im not sure how at the moment.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #4 
veggiegirl

Hey again,

Sorry I forgot about the filter! What type do you have? Basically the problem people have is the inlet that sucks the water in to the filter can suck up the betta so the best thing to do it cover the inlet with something so that the betta cannot be sucked up against it or into it. I have heard that some people use a little piece of pantyhose wrap it over the inlet and wrap a rubber band around it to hold it in place.

Bettas do not like a strong current or a lot of water movement in their tanks so if it appears to be creating a lot of water movement turn the filter power down. When you put your betta into the tank you will know if the filter is too strong because when he swims he will look like he is having trouble swimming against the current or alternatively being pushed around by it. As a general rule bettas do not like a lot of movement and usually if the current is too strong they make become inactive and rest on the bottom all of the time in order to avoid the current.

I am afraid unless you can get pictures of your boy it would be difficult for me to tell if he is sick (there is a sticky in the betta pictures thread that explains how to post pics) If still can't post pics just keep a close eye on him and let us know if he improves in a couple of days. Good luck

Last edited by veggiegirl; 02-22-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #5 
Saphira101

Hi and welcome!

for your filter, I'd suggest getting some filter sponges and wrapping them around the intake and output of the filter. (please refer to picture for sponge placement) you can fasten them on using rubber bands.

You can also find filter sponges at any aquarium/pet store.

Wrap them around the circled areas:

Name:  filterthing_edited-1.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  58.6 KB

Also, I'd suggest turning the power down on your filter.

If, by any chance your filter is a different model than this, you can still put filter sponges on the intake and output.

Good luck!! ~Saphira

Last edited by Saphira101; 02-22-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #6 
Saphira101

Oh wow Veggiegirl, you got to the filter thing before me! I just realized that after I posted! xD
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #7 
veggiegirl

lol not to worry, pics are always helpful when explaining something
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 AM   #8 
MomaDragonfly

Thank for all the advice. I do have another question... the lady at the pet store also suggested that I put the gallon of water into the new tank to keep the Good bacteria. Should I do that or just transfer him. I'm so nervous I'm going the harm him.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #9 
veggiegirl

If he has been looking unhappy in the 1 gallon then I would NOT add the 1 gallon tank water because it may have 'gone bad'. He should be fine in the 5 gallon
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM   #10 
MomaDragonfly

Thanks so much!! I will definitely update after he gets into his new home and hopefully a long and Happy life.