Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 01:15 AM   #1 
BettaQt89

Exclamation HOW to feed your Betta wingless fruitflies..

I've noticed many threads on the site about feeding live fruitflies to your Betta but no one has described the process of actually getting these bugs out of the jar and into the tank...How exactly do you ration out a certain number of the things without them escaping and wreaking havoc in your household??? Even though they're wingless, I've inspected a jar at Petco and they seem to all swarm to the top by the hundreds and they move rather quickly. Do you use tweezers? Or stun them?...Sorry to sound totally clueless lol but I am completely stumped on this one.
BettaQt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #2 
Saphira101

SUBSCRIBED!! I need to know the answer to this one as well...
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

I just kind of knock the jar a couple of times so they all fall to the bottom (or down at least). Then I open the lid and either keep knocking gently while I take a slightly wet finger and pulling one out, or if I am feeding my giant, tilt the container to the side over the tank and give a couple of soft taps so they go towards the top and fall into the water. With my giant I don't worry about overfeeding. He could probably eat 50 and not even be close to full. They are so tiny he can fit like 3 in his mouth at once.

Though an easier method would be to take a straw, have a hole cut in the top that fits it snug, and just have the straw plugged at the top. Leave it in permanently and just pull out the straw and tap a few in when needed. Easy peasy!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #4 
BettaQt89

Thank you!!

Thank you soooo very much!! I feel much more confident about grabbing a jar on Saturday. I think it will be an awesome treat for my little guy.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:42 AM   #5 
Kytkattin

But they are very fast... So very fast...
Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM   #6 
BettaQt89

The flies or the fish when catching them? Please don't say the flies loll. God I hate insects but I want to feed Argos the best and for him to get as much protein as possible, because he snagged his beautiful fins on that stupid penn plax enchanted castle and I'm trying to grow them back quickly.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:21 AM   #7 
Kytkattin

Haha, yes, the flies are very fast. Hence why I really recommend the second method. A lot less hands on. Though don't discredit frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. If you were really into it you could grow your own live brine shrimp!

If you are able to order online I strongly recommend a product called Vita-chem. It enhances colors, and overall my fish seem very healthy on it in addition to a variety of foods. Also, garlic guard is a good product, but less essential in my mind. Not bad to have on hand for finicky eaters.

Of course clean water will go the furthest with healing fins. Best of luck with his recovery!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #8 
PaulO

I don't know if I should be doing this but I feed my fish fruit flies that we find in the kitchen when there's an infestation. We usually have 20-40 just hanging out around summer and winter so I set "fruit traps ". Then I stick them in the fridge or freezer depending on whether I want to store a meal or just slow them down and then it eventually is chow time for the fish. My one little female always get's a big grey belly lol :P.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #9 
sarahspins

There's really no difference between the fruit flies in your kitchen and the wingless ones sold as food.. except for the wings. It's just a selectively bred mutation :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #10 
Kytkattin

The only concern with feeding found food is that you don't know what they might have ingested earlier. That is, they could have ingested some sort of poison that then your fish would be eating. However, the risk with fruit flies is probably significantly lower than with say, ants.

There might also be a risk of parasites, but tbh, I would think that risk would be equally present in any live food, particularly for fruit flies.

Tags
appetite, feeding amount, fruit flies, protein