Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 AM   #1 
AlfaTheBeta

Question Right betta, Right setup

Hi everyone,

Periodically i will post something on the forum, but not too often. I am creating this thread because i would like your opinions and input on picking the right fish, and having the right setup.

Currently I do not have a beta, but recently i have started feeling the need for a fishy friend around the house. Here is a quick history of my experience with Betta Fish:
  • in may 2007 i was gifted my first Betta from my high school English teacher. He was a Red VT named Alpha. Alpha died in January 2008. his bowl was too cold, and i didn't have a heater, or know that he needed heated water.
  • in February 2009 i bought a Blue CT Male "Tough Guy", and a Red CT Female "Cutie Pie" she died 3 months later. Both had 2.5 gallon tanks, heated and filtered. after cutie pie died I bought tough guy a 10 gallon tank.
  • in may 2009 I bought a Multicolor HM "Freckles" he died sadly 2 months after i got him from water poisoning. one of the ornaments i bought him started to peel, i went away for the weekend, and when i got home he was dead.
  • in early 2011 tough guy passed away, at least 3 months later i bought Apophis a Half-moon double-tail Plakat, he was my first attempt at a planted tank, i did a lot of research into water conditions, i even bought a test kit, and tested his water weekly. he was fed 3 pellets a day, I did everything i was supposed to, but sadly he passed away after only 6 months
I'm thinking since this is going to be a fresh start, i am looking for a simple tank setup, the tank needs to have a filter, and needs to be a 3-5 gallon tank. I have a thermometer and heater. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations as to what tank i should get? Also, do certain types of betas do better in different conditions, for example, if i get a 3 gallon tank will a VT be a better Choice than say a HM?
AlfaTheBeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #2 
Crowntails

If you don't mind to spend some money, I like the Aqueon Evolve 4 which is 4 gallons and its light supports plants. So, you can make it into a planted tank. Nope, no type of Betta needs a special tank besides a Giant Betta which needs at least a 5.5 gallon tank -10 is recommend though- because of their huge size.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #3 
waterdog

I have bettas in 3 different tanks, a 2.5, a 5, and a spilt 10. Of all my tanks my favorite (and most affordable) is my Marineland Hex 5. The built in filter is in the lid so only the intake tube is in the water giving more room. The flow is so gentle my betta (in my avatar) has never had a problem. I am a firm believer in the bio wheel which will hold BB when the filter pad is changed. The only 'alteration' I did was replace the incandesent bulb with a flouresent.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #4 
Crowntails

I do like the Hex 5. Very cheap. Only $40 at Petco. My friend kept his betta in one and the betta never had any problems with the filter flow.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #5 
AlfaTheBeta

Crowntails and Waterdog thank you for the responses. Both tanks look nice, and i think would work for me.

How are the water changes though? How often, and what % of water do you change? Also where do you keep the heater in your tank, or does it even need one?

thank you.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #6 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaTheBeta View Post
How are the water changes though? How often, and what % of water do you change? Also where do you keep the heater in your tank, or does it even need one?
ALL betta tanks should have a heater IMO unless your room stays at a constant high temp.

I do about a 30 % water change once a week, or about 1 1/2 gallons.

I am posting a pic of mine and if you look close you will see the heater on the back wall covered by plants.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #7 
Crowntails

I own a 5.5 gallon tank and usually do 25-50% water changes once a week. Roughly 30% I would say though.

Yep your need a heater. You can put it anywhere you like. I stick mine in the back and have it kinda hidden by a plant.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #8 
AlfaTheBeta

I have an aqueon 100 watt heater that i used in the 10 gallon tank, would that work in a 5 gallon tank?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #9 
waterdog

Yeah, just keep a close eye on it cause if if malfunctions it could boil your fish real fast!
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #10 
AlfaTheBeta

waterdog, is the tank acrylic or glass? is that a bubble nest in the back of your tank, Its Huge!