Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 
xtcking

excess Water conditioner or bacteria?

When I do half water changes in my 5 gallon tank. I add water conditioner to my pitcher of water before I put it in my tank (where my fish stays while I change) my question here is, is it possible to have too much water conditioner? to a harmful level? im not talking like 50 ml per 5gs or anything. my bottle says 2.5ml per 5 gallons. so if I ended up with say.. 3mls could this be bad for my fish?

my second question is the same, but with beneficial bacteria.. can you have too much bacteria? my logic is that if there's more bacteria than ammonia, wont some bacteria and starve anyway?

Thanks!
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #2 
tekkguy

Your bacteria and ammonia will find a balance. Occasionally, you might see cloudy water because of a bacterial bloom, but it generally goes away on its own as balance is restored.

You can certainly over-condition your water, but a difference of the amount you are talking about is negligible. You'll find that most 5 gallon tanks are 5.5 gallons anyway, and other sizes vary accordingly as well (though gravel and decor subtract some of that space obviously).
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 PM   #3 
xtcking

Thanks! thats what I figured about the bacteria.

I only ask about the water conditioner because of the way I add water with a picture, its hard to get the exact amount, so sometimes I have to +/- a drop or 2. and I dont want to have to little conditioner. but if 1 or 2 drops wont hurt him.. thats great.
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote