Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #1 
MomaDragonfly

Unhappy Moved Betta to new tank today and am concered.

I made the mistake of buying a one gallon bowl when I first got the Betta 4 days ago. It was a spur of the moment choice to get him, and I didn't know what I was going to need and more of less guessed. After some reseach I went out and bought a proper tank. A 5 gallon glass. With a Tetra WhipserMicro filter. (on the very lowest setting, barely a trickle) Anyways, I set up the new tank yesterday morning and let it run overnight and got the temp to between 74-76. From advice given from other memebers I placed him in a bag and over a period of an hour floated the bag and gradually added the new water to the bag. He was very inquesitive when he first left the bag, seemed normal. But hes been going "bonkers" for over an hour. Non stop flaring at everything in the tank and hes espically interested in trying to get behind the filter and underneath. The filter has very thin slit on the bottom where the impeller is. hes not being pushed around by the current or sucked up against the bottom, but he keeps going back and fourth underneath it. In his little bowl he didn't move around to much and all this activity has got me a little worried. Also, there is a background on the tank... is that good or bad? It seems to be upsetting him and causing him to flare constantly. Is any of this normal. Thank you everyone who offers advice in advance. Im eager to learn the proper ways to care for Betta in hopes he lives a nice long happy life.
MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #2 
InfiniteGlory

when I moved my betta from his 1 gallon QT tank to his current 4 gallon tank he was all over the place and flaring. The flaring should subside once he gets used to the tank. Also I have read that lighting has an effect on him seeing his reflection. Might try changing it up some and see if it helps.

If you are worried about him getting into the filter try and find some filter foam at your local pet store. You can even get a foam sponge from the store just make sure it is not treated with any chemicals or anti bacterial stuff. Then just stuff the foam around the area you don't want him to go.

as far as backgrounds go I think he will be fine. Just needs some adjustment time.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:04 PM   #3 
sparkyjoe

I'm something like 4 says out after upgrading one of my boys from his 3.5 gallon to a new 5 gallon tank. He was always pretty active and quick to flare, but he's been so active and excited since his move that I can barely distract him long enough to eat. Hopefully he'll settle down.
sparkyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:02 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

They will do that. I have one that is super active even after a month being his 5.5g sometimes I wonder if he sleeps, he never seems to stop moving. My newest boy swims under & behind his heater which is horizontal towards the bottom of his tank. Yours will probably settle some but it could take a few days.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #5 
MomaDragonfly

He has settled a bit but still flaring a lot. He stops when I get near the tank and comes over to say hi. It's amazing that he does that and seems to recognize me. So Glad I got him. Thanks all.
MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:10 AM   #6 
Hadoken Kitty

It sounds like he's happier. As long as you did the usuals (conditioner + proper acclimation), which is sounds like you did, he should be fine. Though I would turn his heat up. 78*F should be your lowest ever. 86*F is the maximum heat. 80*F is widely accepted as the "ideal" temperature.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote