Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #1 
Tormented

Breeding..

I have a girl she isn't very big (about 1 1/2 inches), I want to breed her someday. But how big should she be to breed?

Here she is

I might not even breed her but if I do it would be to him..

I would actually love to hear what people who breed say about this pairing.. If I do breed it will be my first time.
Tormented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #2 
trilobite

I dont really go on size, mainly whether she is full of eggs or not. I guess minimum 3.5 cm. At the moment she doesnt look very fat.

If you bred these two you will most likely get blue/red multicoloured vts. If the father is carrying the cambodian gene then you might also get some cambodians and light bodied fish :)
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #3 
Tormented

Okay also, after breeding the female can have torn fins and stuff. How would I treat them? Salt?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #4 
trilobite

I just give them clean, warm water and they heal up by them selves. But yeah salt and indian almond leaf would also help to reduce the chance of infection
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I wouldn't breed either of them. They are both vts with common colors. Of course, it is your choice, but you will get undesirable and hard to sell fry. Remember that it takes just as much time and effort to raise fish like that as it does show stoppers. And warm clean water is all that is needed for the female, one of my girls got really ripped up and two weeks later was compleatly healed.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #6 
Tormented

I have my female by my males tank (not the one above) and he is dancing and flaring at her :p

Here is the male that is interested.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

His color is ok, but his fins are not very nice even for a veiltail. Like I said, please do not breed veiltails.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #8 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

+1 Matt!
If you breed any of those fish you will end up with after all your hard work, undesirable fry that face it, are mutts.
I hold nothing against higher quality vt an responsible vt breeding but you are making yourself sound desperate and it appears to me as if you could have walked into any pectoral grabbed the first two fish you saw that were cheap and wanted to breed them, why? For a little extra money, that is not going to work unless you are breeding high quality bettas and showing and advertising you will not make a penny.

Also if you are just breeding for hobby then purchase high quality fish so you might enjoy the much prettier fish that make people go "wow" not mass bred vt.
If breeding for pet then you are no better than people who mass breed random vt for chain pet stores! Breeding for pet is fine if you once again do it responsibly

I am all for breeding if you do it properly and if you have any questions please feel free to ask :)
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Bb123 said it right there.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #10 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Thank you :D
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote