Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #1 
KaylaMichelle

How to baffle a mini internal filter?

This filter: http://www.amazon.com/AQUARIUS-AQ008.../dp/B004V5FEJM

I was looking around here for a way to baffle it. My betta's fins seem to be ripping due to the filter. :( I don't know if it's the intake or outflow that is causing the ripped fins.

So here's my question. Would these foam inserts be too rough to attach to the outflow with a rubber band? http://www.amazon.com/Aquaclear-20-G.../dp/B0002AQK48

I have some on hand, but I'm worried that my betta's fins may get ripped worse due to the scratchiness of these inserts. Any suggestions?

Thanks! :)
KaylaMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:38 PM   #2 
tekkguy

If you are worried about the ones you have, go to the dollar store and buy some cheap sponges used for cleaning. Something like these. Take the green scrubby part off (it just peels off), and cut as much of the yellow part as you need. They are soft enough.

I actually use these cheap dollar store sponges as replacement for the sponges in my filters, because they are WAY cheaper than anything "for filters!"
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 AM   #3 
KaylaMichelle

Thank you, tekkguy! I decided to go ahead and attach the sponge to see if it would tear his fins (I figured it couldn't tear them any worse than the filter already was) and it seems to be working fine! His fins are healing now When I run out of these I will definitely be getting some of those you recommended! They seem much more economical, plus the nearest pet store is over an hour away from where I live. Great! Thank you for the advice!
KaylaMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #4 
Agility4fun

Check the package, usually says Not for Aquarium Use.
Agility4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #5 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility4fun View Post
Check the package, usually says Not for Aquarium Use.
Usually 2 reasons for that - 1, the sponge will scratch the surface when used for cleaning. 2, some of the sponges sold out there are biodegradable. The particular one I posted is not.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote