Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #1 
kulain

Help! Sudden fin rot and half his tail are gone :(

Just the other day I was saying how my betta Nerzul is growing well, he looked really good, then over a weekend suddenly his tail rotted half off! O_O Please help I don't want the fin to rot until it reaches his body :( Please let me know what medicines to use or should I stick with the salt treatment for now... its not looking very good.

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g fluval chi

What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees

Does your tank have a filter? yes, TOM aquarium mini with flow set to low, he rests his head on it sometimes so I dont think the flow disturbs him

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no

Is your tank heated? yes

What tank mates does your betta fish live with? nothing

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 5xNew Life Spectrum , sometimes brineshrimp crushed and bloodworms

How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day or every 2 days - usually Wednesday, Friday, Sunday

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30% - 50% depending on nitrate and ammonia level

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem prime, api stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 - 0.25ppm (seems always to be this after 1 day :/)
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5ppm - 0 now after 2x 50% water changes I think I killed my cycle
pH: 6
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail is half gone and his anal fin is shredded looking

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He was sluggish for a few days, hanging out not moving either in his corner where he built his nest or hiding in the rotala or resting on the moss ball which caused me to look at him closely. Usually when I approached the tank when he usually swims out front to greet me. He seems to have recover from this though and is now dancing as usual.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2/18, so I immediately did a 50% water change then another 50% 2/19

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No I don't have any supplies on hand my aquarium salt got soaked with fertilizer so I had to throw it out >_>

Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had ich and was cured by 1/25/2013 after 10 days in quarantine with aquarium salt and Quick Cure. He's been doing really well since then and suddenly his tail fell off >_>

How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea, I got him on 1/11/2013 from petco

Other Info
My 5g is planted and has a piece of large driftwood in it I don't know if he can be tearing his fins on them... :/ the plants are: bacopa monieri, rotala indica, dwarf grass, java fern and a microsword all very not sharp type plants, and a moss ball.

I am trying to cycle my tank, not sure if the sudden rise in nitrates are what caused this... I go max 3 days without water change, not sure if that constitutes bad water condition.
Attached Images

kulain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #2 
SolomonFinch

I may be wrong, but that looks like a filter *intake* accident.
Maybe even tail biting as it seems the spines are still intact.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #3 
kulain

Hmm I thought it might be tail biting at first because I took away his hammock (bc everyone was saying how it will rust) and the hornwort (it was shedding everywhere), but he has black on the edges of his tail which is a sign of fin rot, also its happening to both tail and anal fins and I thought tail biting is suppose to result in chunks :/ Not sure, that's why I am asking everyones advice :D

The last picture shows him in a healthy state - and you can kind of see the filter intakes which are pretty small so I am not sure it could do that to him. I see him swimming by there all the time with no problems :/ Maybe I should get another filter?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #4 
SolomonFinch

I cover my intake with a cheap knee high pantyhose. (33 cents a pair at walmart)
so far as size of filter...if his tail can fit in it, it can do damage. i had a betta who purposely put his in the filter intake after months of ignoring it... i panicked, until I finally caught him doing it. fish do odd things when they are not enaged with their owners. remember, unless you are in front of his tank 24-7 you can never really be sure what he does.
it is a low intake filter which is why his spines could still be intake, but the webbing between spines is incredibly delicate...more than most would imagine.
also, dark edges on his fin could be dead tissue from an accident or an anatomical healing reaction.
yes, it could be fin rot, but i would eliminate all other possibilities as well. at least put some pantyhose or something over the intake...just rubberband it.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #5 
kulain

ok, thanks! I will try that with the panty hose.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #6 
callistra

are his tips black? It looks like rot to me.. if it' snot a shadow.. if his tips are black/gray he can't be used for cycling.

Are you using a siphon during cycling? What filter do you have and how are you maintaining it?

I would have expected his cycle to be mostly complete at this point. I would not expect ammonia by now.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:14 AM   #7 
kulain

He didn't have the fin rot until earlier this week, but yes the tips are kind of black grey ish now. Just before this week his fins were completely healthy with white edging where they were regrowing well. I added him to his tank on 1/26/2013, previously he had been in a quarantine tank (1g) for 10 days being treated for ick and his fins had gotten slightly shredded looking around the edge but not to this severe a degree. And like I said they were looking very good when suddenly over 2 days they were shredded :/

I use the Aqueon Medium Siphon Vacuum Aquarium Gravel Cleaner mini, is that what you mean by siphon? The Filter I have is TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow, usually I just swish the spongy part in the water I just changed out to remove the debris (plant leaves and such).

Yeah I wish the cycle is complete but I think because my water changes are too big maybe that the bacteria keeps disappearing :( I did completely clean his tank when I took him out for his ick infection that probably killed the cycle. I think I might try getting a sponge filter instead.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #8 
callistra

Bacteria doesn't live in the water. It lives on surfaces like gravel and in the filter. You can change the water all the way down to the gravel and it won't effect your cycle, unless you shock the bacteria by adding water that's not of the same temp or you don't add conditioner first.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM   #9 
kulain

Ok, I don't know what to say about the tank being cycled or not, when I tested it 2 days ago it said 0.25 ammonia 0 nitrate and nitrites so... I assumed its not cycled still. Even though previously I have seen both nitrites and nitrates. I've always added the same temp water from the same source using the same methods. I pour lukewarm water of 78 degrees into a pitcher and add a drop of prime, then pour that into the tank that is 78 degrees through a little cup so it doesnt disturb the gravel.

I've moved him to a 1g for now, not really sure what else to do.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #10 
brookeandbubba

i got some 99 cent plants at petsmart,, by bubbas halfmoon tail looks like a females :( ,, he needs to learn to be more carefull around it ,, mabe your problem is the plants too
brookeandbubba is offline   Reply With Quote