Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #11 
Myates

I used frozen and top grade pellets for conditioning.. for live foods for the babies are basically cultures.. micro cultures. They stink, but are small enough for the babies to eat (they won't eat processed fry food.. needs to be moving). The cultures will be ready to feed whenever you want.. you just have to collect the food. The BBS will depend on the temp of the hatchery.. but usually it's roughly a day to hatch, so start them early in the morning so you have food available throughout the next day, etc.

This is against rules, but it has some good info. On the right is the list of links to the different types of first foods and how to care for them. If the link is removed, let me know and I'll send it via another way.

Live foods
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #12 
Xaltd1

Sorry, what is BBS?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #13 
Xaltd1

OMG, I have to DECAP brine shrimp??? (I got that from one of your links.) So my fry will die if they eat a brine shimp shell?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 PM   #14 
Option

BBS is baby brine shrimp.

As far as decapped brine shirmp eggs....they are already decapped.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #15 
Xaltd1

I just ordered 3 batches of brine shrimp eggs; some for the parents & some for the fry. I think the "decapped" issue should be it's own post; I don't understand at all...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #16 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If I were you I would not cull at all. Since it is your first spawn, it is likely that you will loos a lot regardless.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #17 
Xaltd1

Why?
Old 02-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Most first spawns you lose some because you make inevitable mistakes. I lost a whole spawn once because I was too fast at changing over the water and within an hour or so they were dead.

I also underestimated how fast ammonia builds up even with only a few fry in a small grow-out, and so I lost all of my fry from another spawn (not bettas) due to an ammonia spike.

If you go slowly with your fry in the first few weeks, and keep their tank clean, and their bellies full, you should have minimal casualties. Fry are extremely fragile and so you have to be patient and not try and rush things along.

But if you get fry with obvious deformities or runts who fail to thrive definitely cull. Even if you end up with only a handful of fish you always want to be producing the best fish possible. This should always apply whether it is your first, or your hundredth spawning.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #19 
royal

I'm trying to figure that out aswell
royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #20 
Myates

Don't have to decap - just hatch the BBS in a homemade hatchery.

BBS can't be fed to adults - they are waaaay too small, and it's difficult to raise them to adulthood.. also the longer they are alive, the less nutrition they offer. Why it's best to feed them newly hatched - why you tend to have 2 hatcheries going 24hrs apart to make sure what you do feed them is newly hatched. Once the BBS lose their egg sacs you tend not to want to feed them to fry.

Yes.. patience is best with fry, have to take things slowly. My last batch here is 13 days old today and their tank is barely halfway filled with water as I'm dripping it in very slowly (and removing during siphoning). And so far (fingers crossed) only have lost 2 confirmed, 1 possible..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote