Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #1 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Elephant ear genetics?

So, I have a elephant ear betta and am considering breeding it in a while. I can not find the genetics of elephant ear bettas (how they work) anywhere, probably because they are rarer and new. So- how do the genes work? The most I can find is that it's recessive. What would happen in eexee and eexhm?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #2 
Myates

Still too new.. and very recessive. You would get a low number of fry with actual dumbo ears when you have an EExEE.. you may get one or two if you do an EExHM.. but can breed a baby back with the parent that have the actual dumbo ears to increase the chance of the next spawn having a few more.. then back again, etc etc until you get a strong line going.

Would be easier/quicker (the breeding part) to find an EE female (which are hard to find.. I found some beautiful ones recently, but the USPS messed up and they arrived DOA), been a few weeks and still haven't found any yet.

I do believe there may still be some x-factoring going on with EEs though - not to the extreme as with rose/feathers, but there are still mutations happening with them.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:15 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I copied - pasted this from another thread:

Anything recessive bred to the same recessive trait should produce mostly that recessive trait. Theoretically it should produce 100% but in reality, it will only be a majority - depending on their actual genetic background.

But it may take at least 3 generations to produce a recessive trait when crossed to a dominant trait. The punnet square for big ear would look something like this:

EE = regular ear/pectoral
ee = big ear

(F0) Regular x Big ear = 100% big ear geno
Parents ---- E ------ E
e ----------- Ee ---- Ee
e ----------- Ee ---- Ee

Note : They should look 100% regular, but IME bettas genetics is far from simple so they will show some rather big ears.

(F1) geno x geno
P --------- E --------- e
E --------- EE -------- Ee
e --------- Ee -------- ee
25% regular, 50% geno, 25% big ear

(F2) Big ear x big ear = 100% big ear (F3)
p ---------- e --------- e
e ---------- ee -------- ee
e ---------- ee -------- ee

*** I need to emphasize that this is theoretical. To my experience betta genetics is far more complicated due to constant mix breeding and possible mutations.

I wish to add that I agree with myates about ee possibly having the x factor. In some ee spawns, many fry looks odd. THIS HAS NEVER BEEN CONFIRMED - it's only my observation. I'm not sure whether the odd ones were due to multiple ray pairs or the ee gene. Just thought you should look into it.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 AM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Ok thanks for all your help!

Myrates- I wish I could get a ee female, but I'm in Canada and am not really willing to spend 60$ to ship a fish haha. Very helpful answer though.

Indjo- Those examples were really helpful. How could I tell the genos and regulars apart?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Keep in mind that I have NEVER worked with EE. . . .
Often genos are hard to detect. But if EE works similarly to DT (theoretically both have the same punnet square equation), the genos should have bigger pectorals - but not big enough to be an actual EE.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote