Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #1 
Skyewillow

Such a PAIN!! (vent)

This fish is going to drive me NUTS!

No matter what I do, I can't get Don Quixote to eat properly! I've tried bloodworms, pellts, flakes, soaking things in garlic. I tried getting a Fairy Shrimp culture going, but this fuzz showed up in his tank, and the shrimp tank, and now if I do anything less than 75% high dosage of salt, it comes back with a vengance! >_>

I just want him to thrive like everyone else is. I don't think I'm asking too much here... >_<

Does anyone else have a perpetually sick fish?
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I'm looking at pictures of him in your posting history, and wondering whether you tried treating for internal parasites? He looks in very poor condition, and it is not uncommon for store fish to have parasites.

It can also make them reluctant to eat, which could be the issue you are seeing.

Epsom salt and garlic aren't going to kill parasites. I would recommend going for medications that have metro/praziquantel in them.

Is he still in the dark tank? If you don't have any water movement, the fuzz could probably just be from the tannins. In some of my tanks that use a lot of IAL, I get like a slimey mold over everything if I leave the sponge filter off.

Perhaps cut back on whatever you are using to provide tannins, and maybe add some water circulation in the form of a sponge filter or airstone. That should clear it up.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #3 
Skyewillow

What's a good anti-parasitic? The only good fish store is about 40 mi away, so I need to call in advance to make sure it's there for my fiance to pick it up.

When the fuzz started, he had a filter running on his tank, it was one of those whisper filters that run with a bubbler.

the salts were for gill inflammation, and the garlic was to encourage him to eat.

He's currently in high dosed AQ salt blackwater, per Old Fish Lady's suggestion, to kill off the rampant fuzz. The problem is, anything less than 3/4 of that water in his tank results in slimey nastiness everywhere.

I'm still concerned that once he is finally all better, he still won't be as hearty and hale as everyone else. I don't know if permanent damage has already been done. >_<

Don't get me wrong, I love all of my fishies. I just wish he could be healthy!
Old 02-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #4 
Fin Fancier

I'm with you. I finally got my first fancy betta, the dt in my profile pic, and he has had nothing but constant fin problems. He just developed a serious case of finrot, and everyone is telling me to improve his water conditions. Here's the funny part. My tapwater is .50 - 1 ammonia naturally (yes I did just find this out, thank God for liquid testkits), but the water in the tank where he's experiencing these conditions is in the 0 - .25 range. I'm assuming its from his plants. I feel your frustration with sickly fish. He was so pretty when I brought him home. I just want him to be happy/healthy like my female.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

Does the slime have a very foul smell out of water? This is what I sometimes get growing in my wild betta tanks. It makes me gag but the fish couldn't care less.

I think it is Jungle Labs Parasite Clear that most people recommend. I think Tetra also has a brand of anti-parasite medication that contains metro.

Was the slime there before or after you started adding the blackwater extract?
Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

I think sometimes they're just more delicate than everyone else. The male I bought with him was also severely emaciated, and ragged from bad water. Don Quixote is still uncomfortably thin and sickly, but Diablo has gained his weight, and his fins are healing nicely. A complete 180!

I also want this stupid fuzz to go away so that he can have a regular tank again.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:04 PM   #7 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Does the slime have a very foul smell out of water? This is what I sometimes get growing in my wild betta tanks. It makes me gag but the fish couldn't care less.

I think it is Jungle Labs Parasite Clear that most people recommend. I think Tetra also has a brand of anti-parasite medication that contains metro.

Was the slime there before or after you started adding the blackwater extract?
No smell that I've noticed (his water doesn't even smell like normal stink-fish water when I change it)
It was definitely before the blackwater. I used dechlorinated tap, and the other tank that was infected had plain spring water. the only thing that the two tanks had in common was the airline running to both of them. Both tanks fuzzed up, and the egg culture had to be tossed, the airline and filter cartridges were tossed, and the filter itself has been bleached and is in storage to hopefully dry out anything that survived 3 bleachings and scalding hot water.

I would like to move him to a different container for a week, and do the same treatment to his critter keeper to see if that helps.

Everyone else has had the spring water and treated tap water in their tanks, and no one else has any fuzzies, not even on their almond leaves!

Would Prazipro work? I know our store carries that, and it seemed to do well for our guppies.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #8 
LittleBettaFish

Looking at it, it seems like it can't do any harm.

My airline tubing always seem to fuzz/slime up, don't know why as you think being in direct flow of the filter it wouldn't.

Have you got any photos of the slime?
Old 02-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #9 
Skyewillow

the airline was running the filter.

No pictures of it, I found it this morning and immediately cleaned his tank again with scalding water.

I have to be sneaky about feeding him in order for him to eat. He hides all day from everything, we have him on the desk to get him used to seeing us, so he'll eat with us around, but he's so skittish and shy. When he gets stressed out, he bends his back into a v-shape.

He's really odd.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #10 
sarahspins

A sick fish may also not feel like eating much.. they may completely lose interest in *any* food. Treat him for what is making him sick and I bet his appetite will pick up.
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote