Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #11 
Saphira101

VERY nice story, sunstar93!!
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #12 
sunstar93

Lol thank you! I wanted to document how everything was from his point of view...including all his sickness and how I was a bad betta momma at the beginning! But I'm so glad you made this thread! :D
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #13 
Saphira101

Thanks!

I hope you decide to write more stories about your other fishies!!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #14 
Saphira101

Would you guys like me to write another story about a different fish of mine?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #15 
sunstar93

Lol I think I might! They are not as detailed as Leo's but they are still special..so I think they deserve a little story haha

And yes! I think you should!
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #16 
Saphira101

*Maniacal laugh*

I SHALL WRITE A STORY AND TAKE OVER THE WORLD WITH THE POWER OF MOZILLA FIREFOX! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 AM   #17 
ao
TFK Moderator

uh.. I guess Kuro's story.

"what is this? i ordered a penthouse suite and they gave me a cruddy cup" Kuro conplained to his neighbour. He made a round of his new home... didn't take very long before he came back to staring at the label on his neighbours cup again. "baby betta" read the baby blue label.
" I really hope that human i ordered comes in soon.... hrrmph... hey, are you even listening?"
it seemed that his neighbour didn't hear a single word Kuro said. The wide open cloudy betta eyes stared into empty space... Kuro backed away a little.

He began to feel a little afraid, he was sure it was all some kind of terrible mistake. His father was a majestic betta king, he had a planted castle all to himself. Father should have arranged a place of luxury for Kuro, after all... then he remebered the 199 siblings he was separated from just two weeks ago.
Unless he is the disfavored son, exiled.

hmmph "I'm a prince, how dare they!". He shook out his indignant little gills and settled in the groove that ran around the diameter of the container. Trying not to think too much... he went to sleep in his little betta cup, hoping that he will not share the fate of his fellow "baby betta". He was eight weeks young, much too young to die...

Well lucky for him, the human he ordered did arrive, and Aokashi came and picked him up the very next day.
Since with the help of his human, Kuro has claimed rights to a nice fully planted penthouse with 15 different plants and a beautiful green HM carpet~

Last edited by ao; 02-24-2013 at 12:35 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #18 
Saphira101

Very nice!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:10 AM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

This is the story of my second betta Nereus.

Since I accidentally killed my first betta by being lax with checking my parameters (darn nitrite spike), I had been on the look-out for a betta to replace him.

This was during the time my betta selection was limited to the crummy pet store near my work. While the bettas were kept in 2-4L containers, the conditions were bad and the store employees were laughably ignorant. I got so many classic one liners out of that place in regards to bettas, and I donít even know how they are still in business.

During my lunch break I went over to look at the bettas, and found the smallest and saddest looking cellophane male VT in a 1L plastic tote (almost like a miniature Kritter Keeper). Since I was afraid someone would get him before me, I purchased him and took him back to work with me.

I worked at Subway, and using the Prime I had packed in my bag, I did a water change using water our mop sink. The ammonia in his container was 4ppm, and there was uneaten food and feces on the bottom so it was obvious it had not been changed in a while.

He managed to survive the day at Subway sitting in his container out on the back bench (not the food prep area), and I took him home on the bus in a Subway sandwich bag that afternoon.

He lived alone in a 15 gallon tank for ages until he choked to death one day on a piece of frozen food I hadnít thawed out. When my mum called me at work to let me know I sat behind the bench and had a little cry.

I still miss that little fish as he was really my stepping stone into the hobby.

LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #20 
sunstar93

I decided to go ahead and write about my other bettas as well...

Toby's Story:
I don't remember much of my life before the cup...lots of brothers and sisters, but that's about it. I was a little older than most of the other males in the cups beside me, as I was bigger and the cup wasn't as comfortable (but, then again, when is the cup ever comfortable?). It was the cold season; I knew because the water in my cup was freezing, as well as the air above the water. We were stacked in a pyramid and I was near the top, between a huge white male and another angry-looking male who never stopped flaring at me. Sometimes I flared back, but it was very cold. I had only been sitting in the pyramid for a day when she came in...I begged for her to pick up my cup, swimming back and forth, showing off the colors of my fins and flaring to show her how beautiful I was. And then, she picked up the male next to me. I immediately shrank back, disappointed....but then, she put him down! And picked me up next! I flared up again, wanting her to take me home, to release me from my cup. She set me down and walked away and I felt my hopes shatter. I sulked in the back of the cup and I could feel the angry male and the white male staring at me, and I felt foolish. Just when I had resigned to believe I wouldn't ever be picked...she came back! And she took me home! My home was a cube-shaped tank, filled with teal and blue gravel and a big silk plant. It was warm and she fed me a couple of pellets once I had settled in. I had so much energy that I couldn't help myself, I flared at everything. The heater, the plant, even my reflection. There was a smaller tank beside mine, which held a sickly-looking blue male. He paced the side of the tank closest to me and I flared at him, expecting him to react similarly. Instead, he turned around and went back to floating near the surface, occasionally nipping at his fins. It was wonderful...my mother fed me delicious pellets and sometimes even these things called bloodworms..whatever they were they were good! I lived in the cube-shaped tank for about a month before my mother transfered me into the big tank. And on the other side of the plastic wall, the one with holes in it, was another betta! Except this one was a girl...a big one, too. Almost as big as me! We flared at each other and I built a big bubble nest to impress her..but she didn't pay much attention to me. Her name was Arya and, despite the notion that bettas are solitary, we were cordial to each other. It wasn't long before we were moved to another place, with a man, a woman and a boy. Then my mother left, and I am not ashamed to say that I was worried she wasn't going to come back...I had grown to like her, she took very good care of me and, after all, she had rescued me before I began to suffer in that horrid cup. During the time my mother was gone (which, I learned later, was only a week), Arya became sick. On the outside, she was fine. The sickness was on the inside and it was moving fast. Bettas just know these things. The day my mother came back, Arya had already passed. You could even say I had grown to appreciate her companionship, and when she died, I became very stressed. It reminded me of when we were being unloaded to be stacked in the pyramid..there were several cups that contained bettas that had not survived the journey. Maybe it was the suddenness of her death, maybe the memory..but I began to bite my tail as a way to relieve the stress. All of this happened in a very short amount of time, about a month, and it was another month before we moved back home. And my mother had gotten me another tankmate! He was a huge male, bigger than me, probably twice my size. He didn't have any sickness and he was jumpy at first. Mother was worried and watched him for a long time; I tried to catch her attention but she was only concerned with the fish on the other side of the plastic wall...his name was Sparky, because of his jumpiness (which, I later learned, comes from the fact that he has nerve damage in his tail). Sparky was not like Arya. He was big and very territorial, and flared whenever he could. But it wasn't like the friendly flaring between Arya and me...he meant business. He wasn't mean...he just didn't really like the fact that I was on the other side of the plastic wall. I bit my tail even more...I couldn't help myself after a while, and my beautiful tail that my mother had once raved about was now in shreds. I don't think mother is disappointed...but she certainly isn't happy about it.
But I am sick...my eyes are swollen and today mother introduced some medicine into the tank. Already it's beginning to feel better.
I know it may sound like my mother doesn't like me very much...but in fact I am one of her favorites...she loves us all, differently but equally. She calls me her crazy boy, her beautiful boy. Names only for me that she doesn't call anyone else. I am just weaker, skinnier, and it is hard to put on the weight I need to be beautiful again. Truely beautiful, like I was when mother first brought me home...but she says I am beautiful no matter what. And that's how I know she loves me.