Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #1 
NewFishFiend

BAH!!! Never again...

My poor, sweet male Betta. How unfortunate of him to come home with me. I am (obviously) new to this and was extremely uneducated when I bought my beautiful male Betta about 2.5 months ago. I have a 2.5 gallon tank for him with lots of decor and colored LED lighting with (shaking my head) a bubbler thingy and waterfall filter and NO heater. UGH.... I did turn the bubble agitator off some time ago, but after reading this now I know I need to turn my filter down and get a heater. This explains why he spends a lot of time at the bottom of the bowl. I feel like such an idiot. Poor little guy. The minute I get home I am installing a heater and thermometer. And here I was thinking I was the master Betta keeper because I cycled his tank properly and kept his PWC up.

I have a lot of work to do this weekend for my new pets ( I have a 30 gallon tank too.)
NewFishFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

:)I think he's fortunate to have someone like you ;)
he got upgraded to a 2.5 gallon from his cup of water...
now his master is perfecting his environment... what mire can he ask for?

and a 30gallon, how exciting!

all the best with the fish keeping! lot's to read and ask in this forum, i hope you enjoy your stay :D
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:45 AM   #3 
Saphira101

+1
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #4 
NewFishFiend

Well as i said i will not make the same mistake again. Poor guy has been freezing and irritated with the water movement :( no wonder he hasnt blown me a bubble nest in weeks :(

He is a beautiful red and blue Betta that we have up in our manroom. Our man room is red and blue too for our enthusiasm for the tennessee titans. He is right at home and i love him. Gotta to get him happy and blowing nests again :)
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 AM   #5 
angus

You're learning and he won't hold it against you. You're going to fix your mistake and that shows how caring you are. Some people buy fish and never research, put them in a tiny bowl, and barely pay attention to them. Hopefully once you get everything straightened out he'll perk right up.
angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 AM   #6 
NewFishFiend

Angus, your Betta is beautiful!!! I love his colors.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 AM   #7 
angus

Thank you...that's my first betta Angus! I've had him a little over a year now. I recently got a new betta, Phoenix. He was sickly so I'm currently nursing him back to health. It's been rough, but I'm hoping he makes it! If you haven't already you should post a pic of your fish!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #8 
NewFishFiend

Angus, i have a few pics of his tank and bubble nests but you cant see him very well. I am at work right now with my pregnant ladies ( i am a labor and delivery nurse) but when i get home i will try to get a good pic of him.

I hope phoenix makes it. I am sure he is in good hands! Keep us updated on how he is doin. Any idea what is wrong with him?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:03 AM   #9 
angus

He has fin rot and people here think septicemia. I found him at walmart in barely any water. I knew he wasn't healthy, but I couldn't leave him there. I couldn't really see his fins because of the lack of water and the fact he was clamped. I'm treating him with triple sulfa now. Tomorrow makes one week that I've had him.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 AM   #10 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Honestly, we all started out in a similar way to you (but you at least cycled his tank!) so don't feel bad. At least he has a smart parent who is trying to make him as comfy as possible!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote