Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #1 
Pasdio

Euthanize?

Through of faults of my own, my fish Sirius-named by a friend of mine-is currently having issues holding air from the surface inside is labyrinth organ. He'll go to the surface to get some and you can see the air flow out of his gills in bubbles. I'm pretty sure it was brought on by ammonia poisoning or the like but I'm really struggling with whether I should euthanize him or not.
A part of me is hoping that he can pull through with clean water but I'm really not sure that's that case.

Not really advice, but more some reassurance this is the right direction to go.
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #2 
Aluka

Doesn't sound like he has anything untreatable. If he is not getting oxygen he would be dead, him just being alive means its not affecting him much. besides air escaping from his grills, is he acting strange?

we need more info tho

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #3 
Pasdio

What size is your tank?2.5
What temperature is your tank? Around 72 degrees, I know this is low but I haven't had a chance to test the new heater I purchased for him and I don't want it to cause anymore harm than I've already done.
Does your tank have a filter? Not currently.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?An air stone
Is your tank heated?Yes. It's one of those all in one under gravel heaters. I have it under a rock right now so he does't rest directly on it.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? He has none.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I was feeding freeze dried blood worms, but he has been fasting for about 7 days due to constipation and bloating.
How often do you feed your betta fish? See above

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?After staying at a friends house overnight I came back to see him very pale in color and red in the gills. Even though I did a 70% water change the day before I immediately did another one. However I was short on time to get to the post office to get the filter for his new tank so I think I poured water in too quickly which might have damaged/stressed him in some way. I came a while later to see him at the bottom of the tank very pale in color and look very lethagic. I've done two more consective changes to remove all ammonia from the water and have him floating in a cup near the surface because he's having problems swimming.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Daily 50-70% to keep the ammonia as low as I physically can with no filter.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0.0
Nitrite:0.0
Nitrate:0.0
pH: Unknown
Hardness:Unknown
Alkalinity: Unknown

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, very pale in color with red in the gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Very lethargic until he goes to the surface for water when air flows from his gills in large bubbles. He then seems to be "gasping" for air in the bottom of his cup and then continues to lay there listlessy.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This afternoon when I arrived home. He was fine when I left last night aside from the lack of poop.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Completely fresh water and floating him in a cup.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Does have a history of being constipated but this seems unrelated.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Approx. 3 years old now.

Last edited by Pasdio; 02-23-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #4 
Pasdio

The biggest issue here is that I have almost no money until Monday-I'll be getting $40. I was planning on using this to purchase a nitrite test kit, a lid of some kind if I can find anything/rig something up and a cheap led desk lamp.

And I don't want him to just sit there in pain until he passes away while I scramble around like a stress monster trying to figure out a way to make him better. I already feel really guilty/****ty about the situation and I don't want to drag it out any longer than I should.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #5 
Juditko

I'm new here and don't know much, but I thought I'd bump this to keep it on top so one of the more experienced members can catch it. I'd hate for you to euthanize if it's something treatable. There are many posts I've read here on heaters...I think a more experienced member might say, if you can monitor that new heater, get it in and get it started. (If I understood correctly that your new heater is not in the tank yet? Or is the one in the tank new and you haven't plugged it in?) I have read the safe parameter on raising temp is 1 degree per hour/ up to 5 degrees per day, but check that. However, 72 is cold, and if you can get the new heater working, you could have him at 77 or so by tomorrow following those parameters. If he's cold, he's going to be hanging around the bottom of the tank looking listless, from all the posts I've read.

I find things more readily on the site by doing a google search, for example: "heater bettafish.com" than I do by using the site search. Some of the more experienced members are the ones who do the stickies at the beginning of each forum topic, so if you don't get a more experienced reply here sometime today, you can message some of them directly to bring the thread to their attention.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #6 
tekkguy

Actually, I would say do not raise the temp with breathing problems. The lower temp water is likely (thank you physics) to ave more oxygen than lower temp water. Betas can breathe from the surface but do get SOME oxygen from the water .... That's probably why he is alive. While you are solving this problem, you need to consider an air stone or other constant low movement of the water surface to oxygenate as much as possible.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #7 
Pasdio

It's mostly just a precaution, I want the new heater to run in water separate from the fish so nothing extreme happens, such as faulting out and running the water too high...or in extreme cases blowing up. (I've heard some horror stories....)

As a complete side note that's unrelated, the betta you have in your avatar is a beautiful color. Reminds me of Sirius (The one I'm treating) but prettier I guess. Sirius is brown all over with a what looks like an outline of bright blue alone the edges of his fins. (Thanks for bumping as well.)

Last edited by Pasdio; 02-23-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #8 
Pasdio

As I said I do have an air stone in the water, I just have him currently floating in a cup so he can easy access to the surface. Would you suggest I lower the level of the water and leave him in the bare bottom tank on his own?

I have had a little plastic plant floating on the surface that he has been resting prior to the steep decline in health, but now he just hides behind the rock and does nothing. I can't tell if it's because he just wants to be in a covered area or because it's near the heater. I left the rock in there to give his at least something to be behind if he gets overwhelmed by the empty tank and to make sure he didn't hurt himself on the heater. (I don't know I was just really paranoid he might get burned or something ridiculous by it, because it's supposed to be an under gravel heater to begin with. I'd rather be crazy and cautious and then stupid and without a fish.)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:42 AM   #9 
tekkguy

Whoops, just saw you already have an air stone ... Good!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #10 
tekkguy

What type of tank is it? Do you have a photo? I wouldn't put him in less than your 2.5 gallon right now because the more water, the more stable. If it is a tall tank though instead of a wide one, you might want to consider something shallower that still holds a large volume.

I have no idea beyond what I've said about oxygenation to treat a labyrinth problem, I'm sorry!

Tags
euthanize