Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #11 
Juditko

Yes, wait to hear from the "Jedi" members on raising the temp. Thanks, tekkguy.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #12 
Pasdio

It's one of those really awful cylindrical 2.5 all in one tanks you can buy at Petco. It's fairly tall which is why I have him floating. (I bought that tank after I learned how bad the bowls were, unfortunately I was still not very well educated about their proper care.)

I do have his new 5.5 gallon tank but I don't know how well that little heater would do with water temp which is why I've been keeping him in the bare bottom one (As well as just monitoring his waste, but that's not my biggest concern at the moment.)

I really appreciate any advice I get on the situation to be honest, so thanks for what you've given me.
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #13 
Pasdio

The problem is that the heater I have now is one of those one that auto-heats. Turns on after a set amount of time and vice-versa so there isn't much control over the water temp. It generally keeps it at about 76-80. I think it was the water changes is what has it dropped so low.

I'm basically trying the best I can with little funds and knowledge on the situation.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Seventy is just too cold. You have an airstone so he'll get as much O2 through his gills as is available. You'll want to slowly bring the temp up closer to 80*.

Lower the water in his tank. Get the tank temp. Add an equal amount of water that's a couple degrees warmer. Wait a few of hours. Remove half the water; replace with water a few degrees warmer. Repeat until he's warm.

By then you should know that your new heater is reliable and at what temp it keeps water.

After he's in the right temp, reevaluate his symptoms.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #15 
tekkguy

I did find that others on the forum have had similar problems, so while you are waiting for someone else to help as well, here is some Google-fu for you:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Bubbles+gills+site%3Abettafish.com
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #16 
Pasdio

@Hallyx
Are you saying I should remove half the water and then add water back in that's warmer than the what's in his tank? Or lower it to about a 1/4 full and then fill to halfway with warmer water? And then would I be adding in my new heater to regulate it at a warm temp? (The new heater is adjustable and has a minimum water line so I'm worried about having half the water in the tank gone.)

@Tekkguy
That site is one my favorite snarky responses. As for the bubbles from the gills they are definitely the bad not normal kind which is what I found in most of those results when I looked for them on my own. There was only one response that seemed similar to my situation and their's eventually passed away.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #17 
Juditko

If your new heater is submersible...you can mount it horizontally near the bottom of the tank, which will allow you more flexibility with the water level, whether you keep the tank full or not. The heater would remain submerged during the water changes, too. If it is submersible, it should say so on the box.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 AM   #18 
Pasdio

Honestly getting mixed reviews, the instructions indicate that if it is dropped in the water I should unlpug before it I retrieve it and nothing in the instructions/box say it is, but then amazon reviews are saying that it's submersible.

I'll keep looking.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #19 
Juditko

What type is it? Brand name?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #20 
Pasdio

http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-25W-Subm.../dp/B0006JLPG8

I had heard good things about it.

Tags