Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #21 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would get him into a Long, shallow critter keeper to make it easier to reach the top. I disagree with tekkguy, I would raise it to 76 degrees ASAP if you want him to heal. That, and keep his water very clean. IMO there is no need to euthanize for simple breathing problems.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #22 
Pasdio

I'd love to get him something shallower, but like I said I have no money until Monday...like none.
I could install the new heater and raise it slowly...the tank is about 72 or 73 right now.

Well the only thing I've found that sounded like my situation was about someone's betta drowning because he couldn't get any air to his labyrinth organ. And watching him struggle his way to the surface and try to gulp down air to only have it roll right out of his gills looks really awful. Not to mention his pale color.
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #23 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Yes, but I really would not euthanize on something he can live with or that he can recover from. I would place the heater in at its lowest setting and slowly raise it to the desired temperature. No more then one degrees an hour.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 AM   #24 
Pasdio

Would you suggest I continue to float him in the cup? Or just let him be in the tank normally? As I said it's fairly tall so...
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #25 
Juditko

That hydor theo heater is AWESOME. I have the same one. Yes, it is submersible. Yes, you can mount it totally under the water (dial and all), so it can be horizontal, vertical, diagonal...with the current water change to raise temp that Hallyx suggested, I'd go horizontal near the bottom of the tank. If you keep him floating in the cup, the warmer water is going to rise to the top of the tank anyway. Just sent you a PM, by the way.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #26 
callistra

Some people like Hydor. I have never had a good one. I use 25w Marineland Visitherm in the smallest of my tanks. Jager is also good.

I wouldn't use an airstone in something so small unless you have an airline control valve that was able to turn it into a mist.

In my experience with every betta I've owned, they fought the current constantly with no control valve, and this is the softest bubbles I could find. I use two in all mine. Turn it off for a few hours and see if he acts better.

72 is freezing and while you may not want it super high, it needs to be at minimum 76, but ideally at least 78. I don't agree leaving him freezing will help.

I would cut back to two or three changes a week - one or two 50% where you leave him int eh tank and one 100% where you scoop him with a solo type cup and thoroughly rinse everything, especially the gravel to remove debris.

You need to use his in tank thermometer to match the tap and get the exact same temp during a water change. Then the water should be premixed (you can use gallon water jugs from the grocery store that are rinsed in hot water only and no chems if you have nothing else) with conditioner before your fish ever feels the water. For the 100% I would also use an acclimation period of 1 hour, while the fish floats inside his cup in the cleaned tank while you add a couple tablespoons of new water every 10 minutes. Try to let as little of the cup water back into the tank as possible while releasing. Make sure the cup is opaque as well.

If you haven't been matching temp or providing acclimation during huge changes this could be the cause of your problems.

Was he always getting this many water changes? If not, what were you doing before?

Last edited by callistra; 02-23-2013 at 09:41 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #27 
Pasdio

I've only been so consistant on water changes because he currently has no filter in the tank. (Before the air stone was part of an under gravel filter system.) And I would check the ammonia level at night to find it being almost 4.0 ammonia or above. He has been getting the large water changes for almost a week now and been doing fine. Still swimming well even with the high ammonia, it was only until I came in this afternoon to find him looking so sluggish and depleted in health. I don't know if this could be tied to his constipation at all but I assumed it was unrelated...could it be tied together after all?

My problem might be the mismatching in temp when doing the changes, but I have been making sure to acclimate him properly when I do full water changes. I was contemplating the adding of slightly warmer water like Hallyx suggested, but that seems to contradict what you've said. Would you suggest just adding the new heater in and bumping it up about one degree every 1-1:30 hours?
As of right now he's still floating in the cup because of his swimming troubles. I've been getting mixed signals about allowing him to just be in the tank as opposed to floating because of the tanks height.

As of right now this is the best thing I can think to do:
Deplete half of the water in the tank, add new heater and bump up about 1 degree every hour, and remove the air stone. I'm also thinking of draping a towel over the tank because it's going to be light soon-stayed up all night worried about this, heh-and I've heard the darkness will cause him less stress.

Does this sounds like a good idea?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 AM   #28 
callistra

4ppm is into the lethal range It should never be allowed to get to that point. This is why the weekly 100% is necessary and that includes a thorough rinsing of gravel and everything.

The daily changes you are doing are not working well enough to remove ammonia source, and not matching temp is just causing extra issues.

It's very important you acclimate to higher temps. You absolutely need an in tank thermometer to monitor things. Set the heater well below what the thermometer is showing the tank to be. Slowly click it up one degree until it just comes on. Wait for the heater to shut off and the tank to come to temp. It should not raise things above a degree. If it does, there is a problem. Wait an hour after the tank reaches temp, then click it up again.. repeat.. no more than 5 degrees per day.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #29 
Pasdio

I'm well aware insane that level is, I was confused at first but I just assumed it was because there was no filter. But there is no gravel or anything else either, just a rock to rest on and a plastic plant floating at the top for him if he wanted to rest near the surface.

I'll put the heater and try to follow your instructions, but would you suggest I leave him floating in the cup on the surface? Or should I follow through with what I have outlined above?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #30 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Do yo have pics of him and his whole tank?

Tags
euthanize