Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #31 
Pasdio

Not currently, I do have some from about a week ago that show his bloated stomach. He looks essentially the same except very pale in color with what looks like inflamed gills.

I would take new pictures, including the tank but the camera is in my mother's room who is currently sleeping. If it help any it's just a cylinder that seems about 12" tall by guesstimate. The rock is zebra rock if that means anything.
Pasdio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #32 
Pasdio

I have removed everything from the tank, save the new heater and the in tank thermometer. The tank seems to be about 74 degrees before I took the old heater out.

I currently have the new heater set to 71 and I'm waiting to see if it will register and flick on.

Sirius is still in his cup, I'll go back to floating him for now unless someone suggest otherwise.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #33 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasdio View Post
@Tekkguy
That site is one my favorite snarky responses. As for the bubbles from the gills they are definitely the bad not normal kind which is what I found in most of those results when I looked for them on my own. There was only one response that seemed similar to my situation and their's eventually passed away.
I promise it wasn't intended to be snarky! It was easier on my iPad to do that than type out an explanation of how to Google on only one site.

I missed the airstone comment when I mentioned the heater ... listen to the others on that!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #34 
Juditko

How is the temp now? Any changes in his behavior?
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #35 
Pasdio

Sorry about the disappearance, kind of needed to sleep.....
Anyway, the water is still not quite up to temp but I'm doing the slow climb every hour.

As for behavior he is still laying in the cup looking just as awful as before. I'm aware that raising temp will help a little but from my understanding bettas need a functioning labyrinth organ to stay alive otherwise they will "drown" in a sense. He may be getting SOME air now but is there any way I can improve this?
Old 02-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #36 
Juditko

PM those expert moderators you've heard from so far so they are sure to see your latest post.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #37 
lelei

Dont feel bad..im struggling with the same prob and havent decided to euthanize just yet either..but my VT is struggling hard to breath as well he cannot open his mouth..to eat and it looks like he has some kind of pimply inflammation arpund his mouth area..but his temp is 79-81 and..he also has an air stone..as the filter and light just died..in the minibow..2.5 i trannsfered him to..its such a tough decision..and i k.ow my boy is sufferong too..
lelei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #38 
LittleBlueFishlets

OK, trying to sort through four pages of posts here.... Does this summarize what's going on?

- 2.5 gal tank, but currently floating in a cup
- 72 degrees F, but temp is currently being raised to (what?)
- No filter
- Air stone
- flat preset heater (but you're concerned he'll get burned on it, so it's under the gravel)... and you have a new 25W adjustable heater
- fasted for 7 days due to constipation and bloating
- water change acclimation rushed
- daily partial water changes to keep ammonia low (since he's in a cup)
- about 3 yrs old

If that's all correct, then:

I would keep him in the 2.5 gal tank with a lowered water level (or just enough water to cover the heater, if you need more than that). This will allow him to reach the surface easily, but will provide a larger amount of water overall so that ammonia won't build up so quickly. (Don't worry about him getting burned on it. It's only going to raise the water temp to about 79F. Our own body temps are 98.6F. So the heater isn't even as warm as we are.)

The preset heater may be fine for heating this small volume of water, or you can use the new adjustable heater.... But when raising the temp, raise it no faster than 1 degree per hour, with 5 degrees per day max. (I think Callistra mentioned this already.)

Is he still bloated? Has he pooped at all? How much Epsom salt did you have him in, and for how long?

How did you acclimate him after doing partial water changes?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #39 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Just to remind everyone of the "similar threads" column just below these posts.... especially the first one which is running concurrently with this thread.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #40 
lelei

Unhappy

Here is a pic of my Crimsons face..
Attached Images

lelei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
euthanize