Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #1 
shawnee

Exclamation What to jar males in please awnser!!!

sop i have been doing some looking and i cant decide what to jar the males in the first is tacacata pots with the holes filled in there great because there opacq and i nice size. next is mason jar upside cheap 1 a pice downside there kinda small and clear thell ram the glass thridly bout 2.50 apice are these little 3/4 of a gallon fish bowls these also seem great becasue of sizze any 1 got any other ideas!!!
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

I use jars... I wouldn't use terracotta pots to be honest, if anything I would prefer the jars. Hunt around... Look in thrift stores, kijiji, etc, look for MEDIUM canning jars. That is what I have... Everything from medium to very large... I don't understand what you mean by "they'll ram the glass" no they won't. I have about 30 jarred currently, and have never had a problem. You could do the fish bowls, but they are more expensive than the mason jars... Go the cheaper route. If you can even, find cups with lids... You can also use clear Dixie cups and fashion lids to avoid jumpers.

OR if you have the tank space, buy a few "Betta Barracks" as they are called. That way cleaning is easier, they are all heated, and takes up less space.
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #3 
shawnee

what i mean by that is the males see each other and theyl try to get at each other
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:07 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

They'll be fine Flaring is another form of communication for them... Not always dominance, or aggression. Plus they can exercise their fins. I have yet to have a problem with anyone getting stressed, jumping out of the water, etc. Pictures attached, are two bettas (one male one female) in their jars. I like them since you can check on them, and if they ever get sick you can jump on it before it gets worse.
Attached Images

Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #5 
trilobite

I use plastic soda bottles with holes in them, then put them into a tank or anything that holds water and a heater, then put in the boys. Can chuck in bits of plastic like cut up ice cream container lids and put them between bottles so the fish cant see each other. Cheap, easy and efficient, but ugly
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM   #6 
inveritas

Food grade transparent plastic containers with holes pierced in the top sounds like an cost effective method to me.
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #7 
inareverie85

Nice looking little ones, Sena. :)

I use 5 1/2 x 6 1/2 square plastic jars from ccw. Each jar holds about .75G of water, so I can grow out my babies in there from jarring age to adulthood.

I jar once they start fighting. That time differs between spawns.
inareverie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #8 
babystarz

I use 32 oz. Mason jars.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 
Myates

I use 32oz plastic deli cups - you card them so they can't see each other, and then a couple times a day remove the cards so they get some exercise time :) Keeping them in the terra pots will just make them.. bleh.. imo. It's dark and they can't see/interact with anything. These fish are actually pretty social, and they will need exercise being in a small space.. so anything clear would be more idea. Just use cardboard or anything thin and solid to place between them all when they aren't exercising.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:15 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Beautiful babies, Sena!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote