Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 AM   #1 
soady

Question Play or stress?

I got 6 neon tetras to live with my two bettas (male and female) who are divided by a bet through which the neon tetras can go through.

My question is, when my male betta chases them (the female doesn't pay any attention to them) is he playing or getting stressed? There is no way that he could ever nip on them since they are extremely fast.

He doesn't chase them all the time, just occasionally tries to catch them but gives up in a few seconds.
soady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #2 
shellieca

How big is the tank? If I understand correctly you have some kind of pass through for the tetras to go through but you don't think a Betta can? I'd be VERY skeptical about something like that as Bettas can & do try to through things that are too small for them then they get stuck & die or severely injured. As for the male being stressed, its always a possibility. I'd keep an eye out for color fading, nips or tears in his fins, lethargy, loss of appetite, hiding.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #3 
soady

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
How big is the tank? If I understand correctly you have some kind of pass through for the tetras to go through but you don't think a Betta can? I'd be VERY skeptical about something like that as Bettas can & do try to through things that are too small for them then they get stuck & die or severely injured. As for the male being stressed, its always a possibility. I'd keep an eye out for color fading, nips or tears in his fins, lethargy, loss of appetite, hiding.
Hey, thanks for replying!

The net is very safe, here's a pic of my tank:

He is very happy, he eats well and all that, I guess he just chases them for fun occasionally. They certainly don't mind, as they are super fast and they tend to be on his side of the tank more often than on the females. By the way, the neons swim much more freely now than yesterday.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #4 
shellieca

I would be concerned because the netting has holes big enough for a Betta to get tangled in especially with there being another Betta on the other side. I would add some more plants & at least one cave for each Betta. Your set up is working for now but don't be surprised if something happens in the future. There are plenty of people who can attest to how quickly things can change in a divided tank just as there those who've never had a problem. Others may see it differently, I just think your netting is an accident waiting to happen. Just my opinion.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #5 
soady

I spent two days observing them in this setup and they are fine. You are right about the plants, I plan to add more as soon as I buy a proper light. The holes are just big enough for them to put their nose through and that's it. Their heads or gills can not get strangled in the net.

About the subject... I think he's chasing them for fun and when he is in 'fight mode'. They feel free on his side now. :)
Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #6 
shellieca

Glas he seems fine. As I stated its my opinion, I've seen first hand Bettas attempt to go through holes too small for them, get stuck & injure themselves struggling to get free.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #7 
callistra

I agree with shellieca
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:58 PM   #8 
soady

The net is thick for my bettas, they can barely put their mouth through.