Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #1 
briser

Help with filter baffle?

I have a really small filter on my 3gal. It looks like this:

The flow at the top is a little too strong but I can't use a water bottle because it's too small of a lip and won't stay. How else can I baffle it?
briser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 PM   #2 
Malvolti

I actually use 2 of these. One in my 3 gallon and one in my 1.5 gallon hospital.

The best way to baffle with the water bottle is to put the bottle around the filter. Basically cut the ends off the bottle, cut along one side similar to the usual baffle but put the bottle on vertically. So the open ends of the bottle are up and down.

Another method I've used that works great is to use a piece of a cottonball in the intake. Not so much that you plug it but enough to reduce the water flow in.

You can also use a piece of filter sponge. Place the piece of filter sponge between the filter cartridge inside and the spillway.

Another thing I've found that works with these is to push it down further into the water (if you have room to and still keep the intake at least 1 inch above the substrate). By lowering it so the lip is fully submerged the flow is spread out instead of concentrated.

Last edited by Malvolti; 03-06-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Malvolti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 
LolaQuigs

I use aquarium sponge and/or pantyhose to baffle my filters. I put the sponge in the outflow part. I also put pantyhose over the intake part; it helps to baffle, and it also prevents fins from getting sucked into the little slots. I have one filter that still has a strong flow even though the output is stuffed full of sponge, so I put pantyhose over pretty much the entire filter for additional baffling. Works great! It's also a great place for nitrifying bacteria to grow if your tank is cycled/cycling.
LolaQuigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:02 PM   #4 
briser

Ok thanks for the great answers! I will def be trying filter sponge! If it doesn't work I'll try another method :)
Old 03-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

I have this...its too strong? Really?
Im surprised.
If its too high up from the water line, it will (naturally) cause a great deal of distrubance. Keep it only just above the waterline (per directions) for the best results.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 AM   #6 
Veronica

Filling the water up to/slightly above the outtake really does help. My local store had aqaurium sponge in a 2 x 2 foot square and I was able to cut a piece to stick in the outake and wrapped another one around the intake to prevent fins from being damaged (super hot water on the rubber band just in case :o). The little goofball seemed to enjoy the previous flow, which was light due to the water volume, but I felt better baffling the filter anyway.

Last edited by Veronica; 03-07-2011 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Was repeat of previous post...
Veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #7 
demonr6

I have the same filter and bought a Fluval white sponge and cut it out to fit a piece in the outtake area. Works like a charm for me.
demonr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #8 
briser

So I went to the pet store and bought a "filter sponge" as it said on the package... I cut it to fit and stuck it in the part that was causing the trouble and it didn't help AT ALL. The flow is still the EXACT SAME!
I even tried putting more water in the tank to go over the flow and it's still pushing my little girl around!
I am going to try the vertical bottle next... any other suggestions?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

Try putting it INTO the bottom part. I believe it comes off. Also, rubber band it to the top where it comes off. My 1inch tetra isnt bothered by it..
OR, you can sinch the tubing, which weakens the air flow.
Try a bobby pin pulled over it tight like this -->-- or you can try other things that will sinch it, clips, etc. It worked for me, too.

The bottle baffle is scary. People's fish have died from it in various ways...
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #10 
Thunderloon

I either use a pressure gang valve or drill holes in the front of these filters. Holes down the front let you keep the strong intake but spread the flow out while the gang valve lets you reduce the air-flow without putting back pressure on the air pump and wearing it out.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote