Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #1 
KellyL

Lost my new betta after less than a day?

I bought a new male betta yesterday and lost him this afternoon.

I checked the water yesterday before I bought him and again today and there is nothing wrong with it.

He was a little tattered when I got him but nothing major and seemed healthy apart from that.
The only thing I can think of is stress?! I transported him and introduced him the same was as I do all my fish (he's in a tank of his own) I've only ever lost one fish this way before.

I get a replacement fish since I lost this one within 48 hours but I dont want to look like an idiot if I go get a new one!

Any ideas? also any ideas what I should do to the tank if I wanted to get a replacement?

Thanks!
KellyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #2 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
this happened to my teacher... except i gave her a danio... mysterious deaths... did you test the water/condition it?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #3 
KellyL

Ye I cycled the tank for 2 weeks, I tested the water twice in the last two days and there is nothing wrong with it.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

It happens. I bought a beautiful boy a month or so ago from Petsmart & in less than 24 hrs he had died. I took him back & they didn't even ask questions. Sounds like you have experience with Bettas so I doubt its anything you did. When you say you cycled the tank for 2 wks did you provide an ammonia source or used seeded media from an established tank?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #5 
Crowntails

2 weeks is to short of a cycle. It takes 6-8 weeks to cycle the tank.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #6 
ao
TFK Moderator

^depends on whether it's seeded. but regardless an uncycled tabk wont kill a betta in a day...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #7 
KellyL

Ye I used water and a plant from my other tank + I used food for the ammonia source.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

Did he display any unusual symptoms or behavior? Did he have any discoloration on his fins or body after he died? (Dark or gray areas or spots?)

Don't worry about going back to the petstore. I got one Betta simply because I saw a petstore employee handling him roughly during a water change, so I wanted to rescue him. I acclimated him extremely slowly, but he died anyway. When I went back to the petstore, they simply sent me to the fish section, where an employee said, "Do you want a refund or a replacement?" There were no questions as to what had happened. In fact, the employee sounded bored. I asked if this happens often. She shrugged and said, "Yeah. So, did you want a refund or a replacement?"

Of course, I took a replacement.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #9 
KellyL

No there was nothing wrong with him, he looked just like he did yesterday.

I guess its kindof my fault too, I broke my own rule about buying fish from a tank with a dead fish in it!! They have one of these betta displays where each betta gets its own chamber bit its all fed from the same water source at the bottom of the display! There was a dead female in my boys little chamber, I figured since they all shared the same water and hed been there since tuesday they would all have any potential disease anyway! I'll see if they will give me a credit to get a new betta from a different store . . . . .
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #10 
MiyuMikaelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyL View Post
No there was nothing wrong with him, he looked just like he did yesterday.

I guess its kindof my fault too, I broke my own rule about buying fish from a tank with a dead fish in it!! They have one of these betta displays where each betta gets its own chamber bit its all fed from the same water source at the bottom of the display! There was a dead female in my boys little chamber, I figured since they all shared the same water and hed been there since tuesday they would all have any potential disease anyway! I'll see if they will give me a credit to get a new betta from a different store . . . . .
Hope they let you get a Betta from a different store.
:-/
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote