Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #11 
TeacherTeapot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
@TeacherTeapot - oh yes! I use lots of PVC pipe and terracotta pots (with the backs removed or holes plugged) because they're cheap and safe! My guys prefer the straight PVC coupler pieces. They didn't like the elbow ones as much, probably because they can't see through them.
The couplers were what I was looking at, though I do like the 3-way corner elbows. Problem is finding them in a big enough diameter. I was hoping for 3" but the biggest I can find is a 2". Ah well, he'll love it anyway.
TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM   #12 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
@homegrown terror - what if you soaked and then washed the cup really well, using just lots of hot water? Would that be enough to remove any traces of soap or detergent?
theoretically it's possible, but doing so would basically be playing russian roulette with your fish. i personally wouldn't do it, but if you're gonna try, i'd suggest you soak them in a boiling hot water-vinegar solution for several hours, changing the water frequently to remove residue and keep the temperature up, then soaking them in regular water for a day or two afterwards. considering the average Dollar Tree has ceramic coffee mugs that's be just fine to use, and would look nice in a tank, i'd just shell out an extra dollar to get one brand new.
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #13 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Once I set up my self cloning crayfish tank (really just a big tub. Im adopting him from my brother after she ate a sword tail and a gourami and destroyed his plants.) a lot of PVC is going in there. It's cheap, aquarium safe, and a great hiding spot.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #14 
homegrown terror

i wonder if it'd be possible to train a betta to swim through a pvc pipe for a treat, then start adding pieces, turns, junctions etc and let them learn to navigate a maze like mice.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #15 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post
theoretically it's possible, but doing so would basically be playing russian roulette with your fish. i personally wouldn't do it, but if you're gonna try, i'd suggest you soak them in a boiling hot water-vinegar solution for several hours, changing the water frequently to remove residue and keep the temperature up, then soaking them in regular water for a day or two afterwards. considering the average Dollar Tree has ceramic coffee mugs that's be just fine to use, and would look nice in a tank, i'd just shell out an extra dollar to get one brand new.
I've been keeping fish for ... I dunno, 17 years on and off, and I always use a cup from the cupboard for scooping out water. Soap residue is a concern, but something that's been run through the dishwasher and sitting in a cabinet isn't likely to hurt your fish (unless it's porous, and then seriously - you shouldn't have it in the dishwasher or be using soap on it to begin with!).
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #16 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
i wonder if it'd be possible to train a betta to swim through a pvc pipe for a treat, then start adding pieces, turns, junctions etc and let them learn to navigate a maze like mice.
I think this would be really cool to try.

My guys didn't like the elbow shaped PVC pipe, but I think that's partly because they'd never seen anything like it before. So I took it out, and added the straight coupler pieces. They now swim through those all the time, so they're used to the PVC material. I'm wondering how they'd react if I put some differently shaped pieces in now. Stick a pellet in there, and they'd probably be all over it.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #17 
homegrown terror

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I've been keeping fish for ... I dunno, 17 years on and off, and I always use a cup from the cupboard for scooping out water. Soap residue is a concern, but something that's been run through the dishwasher and sitting in a cabinet isn't likely to hurt your fish (unless it's porous, and then seriously - you shouldn't have it in the dishwasher or be using soap on it to begin with!).
yeah, that's fine i'll agree, but i was referring to someone using such a cup as a decoration that would be in the water long-term, and therefore more of a threat.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #18 
TeacherTeapot

Quote:
They sell training kits for bettas, with hoops and such, so it should be possible. I'm kinda wishing I had a bigger tank so I could test this. If anyone does, please post video!
TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #19 
tekkguy

Quote:
yeah, that's fine i'll agree, but i was referring to someone using such a cup as a decoration that would be in the water long-term, and therefore more of a threat.
Unless it is porous material, the length of time does not matter. You have no idea what types of cleaning materials or chemicals were used in manufacture or retail of the item, so running it through the dishwasher yourself or cleaning it with soap isn't likely to cause any issues at all, provided that you thoroughly rinse and sterilize.

Making PVC pipe is a pretty nasty and chemical-laden process, but we all agree they are safe anyway, right? The chemicals used in making it will kill us, forget about our fish! It's about cleaning and sterilization, and non-porous, non-caustic items.

Last edited by tekkguy; 02-24-2013 at 07:39 AM.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #20 
Jerry Davis

Smile aquarium decor

Hi, I make my own decorations using certain gemstones and an aquarium safe silicone. Just make sure that the stones give off no metals in the water i.e.. amethyst, and wait at least 24 hours for the silicone to dry. Then soak your decoration in filtered water for a day or so. You can then safely lower into water with fish. I've been doing this for 4 years,and have no problems. I find it to be a great creative outlet for me, and my betas love having places to hide and hang out. Jerry Davis
Jerry Davis is offline   Reply With Quote