Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM   #1 
Marvelous1

Husband brought home a neglected VT. What do I need to do?

My husband went to a friends house and brought home this sad guy. He's definitely skinny. In the picture you can see all of the food that was dumped in there today by the previous owner. I can't quite tell if his scales are starting to pinecone, or if he's just that skinny. I'm heading to petsmart so I can pick up whatever we need. He will go into the 2 gallon Kritter keeper for quarantine. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  43.8 KB
Marvelous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #2 
Marvelous1

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  44.7 KB

I can't upload all of the pics for some reason but this should give you an idea. He came in a glass bowl with brown water. I'm acclimating him to clean water now
Marvelous1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #3 
Hadoken Kitty

Be wary of comparing a pet store betta to a known breeder's betta. Pet store bettas tend to be on the smaller side. It is sad that this VT was neglected. IME, my pet store bettas always tend to look skinny, but I can promise you that they all eat like champs. From the top, a majority of bettas can appear "skinny". They shouldn't look like they're full all the time, as this can be detrimental to their health. I hope that this link can help you. Get him some nice pellets like Omega One or New Life Spectrum. If he does not want to eat, take the pellet out and try again later. Eventually he'll eat. You can feed him frozen blood worms as well for treats, as this provides a nice amount of protein. However, the pellets should be his staple diet. It's nice to hear about people who are able to rescue someone else's fish. I wish more people would do it. Hats off to you! ^_^

http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #4 
bettalover2000

I would get a 2-10 gallon tank, Kritter Keepers do work well. As well as a heater appropriate for the size, and an air pump with an air stone is always a good idea. Get a couple SILK plants (sold at pretty much any pet store), as they will not shred the fish's fins. Get a thermometer, too.

Omega One is a good food, I use it, & also flakes & frozen foods are good supplements. In Summer (or if you live in a warmer climate), if you set out a pan of water, after a few weeks mosquitoes will lay eggs in the DIRTY water (it needs to get dirty, or else they won't lay). When these mature, they make a great food supplement. Rinse with tank water before feeding.

Hope this helps! I hope your Betta gets better!!!!! (Have you named him? ;) )

Some useful links!

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi.../dp/B00106X8QG
I use this one ^, but it keeps the water somewhat cold in my 3 gal. :/

Last edited by bettalover2000; 02-23-2013 at 05:14 PM.
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote