Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #1 
technofox

Betta Color Question (Health)

Hi All,

I had changed my fish bowl's water a few days ago for the first time, which stressed out my Betta causing him to tear part of his dorsal fin and lose some color around his under belly. Fortunately his color is returning and he seems happy, but his left and right fins are grey or silver where they attach to his body. I am not sure if I missed this or this something new. I have attached the best pic that I could take of him to show you.

So far the tears that he made when trying to escape the net I used and the plastic cup after realizing that he was hurting himself to avoid the net are finally healing very well. He is eating fine and actually gorged himself on the algae food that was meant for the mystery snail that I have in the tank with them (they are getting along great). My only concern is the health of my little fish, the snail doesn't seem to get phased by water changes and takes everything in stride.

I appreciate your help on this matter and thank you all in advance. I never thought I would get so obsessed over a little fish, but the Betta's personalities just pique my interest for some bizarre reason
Attached Images

technofox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

A grey belly is a sign of stress. They lose color when they are stressed. I wouldn't worry about his fins if he's been regaining color.

However, what size and temperature is his bowl? How often do you do water changes and what percent of the water do you change?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM   #3 
technofox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
A grey belly is a sign of stress. They lose color when they are stressed. I wouldn't worry about his fins if he's been regaining color.

However, what size and temperature is his bowl? How often do you do water changes and what percent of the water do you change?
His bowl is 1 gallon and the temperature is around 76F. I performed a 100% water change this past Wednesday. Other than that he seems happy and is eating well, the snail and him are both getting along.

Someone suggested that I should do a 50% water change to keep the bowl clean and put less stress on the Betta. What are your thoughts?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #4 
Myates

I would practice using the cup to scoop him rather than the net. The net too can cause a lot of tearing in the fins.. basically when he goes to the surface just quickly scoop the cup into the water behind him and have the suction push him into the cup. It may take a few tries, but it's worth learning because it is much safer for the fish's fins that way.

In a 1 gallon, having a snail can be detrimental - they produce a great amount of ammonia and tend not to be recommended for anything under 3+ gallons. I would honestly do 2 50% and 1 100% per week water change - more than normally recommended, but the snail drops a ton of waste and the ammonia can be deadly to the betta.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:26 AM   #5 
technofox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
I would practice using the cup to scoop him rather than the net. The net too can cause a lot of tearing in the fins.. basically when he goes to the surface just quickly scoop the cup into the water behind him and have the suction push him into the cup. It may take a few tries, but it's worth learning because it is much safer for the fish's fins that way.

In a 1 gallon, having a snail can be detrimental - they produce a great amount of ammonia and tend not to be recommended for anything under 3+ gallons. I would honestly do 2 50% and 1 100% per week water change - more than normally recommended, but the snail drops a ton of waste and the ammonia can be deadly to the betta.
Is there anyway to test for ammonia?

I also happen to have a Marimo (Moss) ball and have been told they are good for removing toxins from the water, which I also squeeze out the gunk as many recommended. One of the biggest problems about the research that I have done over the snail is that everyone seems to have differing opinions about them Even pet stores online They range from tank size to not sharing the same tank as fish, I find this completely confusing

I appreciate your help. Assuming I could afford a new tank at some point in time, are there any 3.5 to 5 gallon tanks that you would recommend that include the filter and heater?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #6 
technofox

Snail Poop or Eggs???

I found a bunch of little oval shaped pellets surround by a mucus like substance on my snail. Is it poop or eggs?
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #7 
technofox

I took the executive decision and decided to remove Who (the snail) from the fish bowl. I didn't realize that the scum that was in the bowl wasn't from the algae wafers, but from snail poop

I also did a 100% water change as you all have suggested an Horton (the Betta) seems noticeably happier than when they were together

I did the cup trick and it worked magically. Horton lost only a little color in his scales, but he is A-1. As for Who, he seems happy in his quarter cup filled with water and a small amount of conditioner; I even see his antenna and he is crawling around with much more boldly. I see the spot on his foot though that Horton nipped on and it seems Horton is trying to find who, lol.

Anyway thank you all for your help. I am glad I found this place