Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #1 
veggiegirl

DIY drip system?

Hey everyone,

I would really appreciate any advice anyone could give me. I recently bought a 5 bay divided betta tank, it has glass dividers which means that water does not flow from tank to tank. My problem therefore lies in heating this tank. I was thinking maybe of getting a second one of these tanks but I really need to find out how to be able to heat them! The only thing I can think of that may be suitable is a drip system? It would need to be a simple set up because I do not have a lot of space left in my room.....tanks every where but if I can set up these tanks it would be a dream come true because it would mean in total (with my other tanks) I would be able to house 30 male bettas. All input would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea how to set one up and I did Google it but it looks complicated.........
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:24 PM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

Hi! within my knowledge 99% of the divided tank sold for bettas does not have nearly enough room for them.
(min 4L/ betta) the tanks I saw sold in Australia are sold with non removable glass dividers!!! *horror***

a DIY drip system is certainly possible... but...first you will need to drill holes on your tank :O
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:34 PM   #3 
veggiegirl

Is it possible to drill holes through glass?
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

yes... there are drills just for glass... I would honestly just add plants to the tank and forget about the drip system... maybe you can invest in a reptile heating pad or something. Unless you're a LFS who wants to keep bettas in minimum space, but have a cycled system.. It's really not worth it. LOL

I personally prefer one betta in a beautifully scaped tank as the center piece for my room ^__^ The heater and filter xan be well hidden too :)

I'm still working on the scape. lol
ao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:08 AM   #5 
veggiegirl

Oh wow your tank looks really great! I certainly am a fan of planted tanks however I have always been a collector and bettas are something I cannot help but splurge on!!!!

I wasn't too bothered about the whole filtration but heating it would be the problem I don't think reptile heating pads would come in a large enough size to heat this tank, plus they wouldn't be water proof which was another concern.......

I do prefer betas to live in larger spaces (most of mine have about 2.5 gallons each in my other barrack tanks) but I know for a fact that most of the bettas sold at the petshop end up in tiny tanks much smaller than the divided ones that I just bought and without a heater or filter which I am hoping to be able to figure out how to at least heat this tank. Plus I am a perfectionist, I cannot stand dirty tanks so this divided tank would be getting cleaned every second day 100% water changes. I would never have bought these tanks if I thought that bettas would not be able to stay happy and healthy long term in them.

So where would be a good place to find step by step instructions on how to set up a drip system because it is the only solution that I can see working for this tank, otherwise I could cut the divisions out and drill a heap of holes in them to allow water flow, I preferred the drip system idea though because it would mean that I only needed one heater, it's not that I mind buying more heaters but my power points are already almost maxed out so less power cords for me is definitely important to me. In fact if it was not to difficult to set one up I would consider it for the other two barrack tanks that I am currently setting up, they are a lot large though..........
Old 02-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #6 
veggiegirl

okay so I've had a change of heart, because of the high maintenance required to maintain this divided tank I am not going to keep bettas in it full time...... It's not that I mind doing water changes in fact I quite enjoy making their homes all nice and clean but I finish my full time study in a few months and after that I will hopefully be working full time so I won't really have enough time to maintain the divided tank along with caring for all of my other bettas, 200+ budgies, pet birds, pet mice and rats, my cat and the horses.........

So what I have decided is........ I will keep this tank for what I originally bought it for, quarantine and hospital tank. I will heat it using heat pads which will save me dismantling the divisions to get them drilled. I will stick with the original plan of getting the 20 male bettas..........but I am going to purchase this square tank that is available in the pet shop, it is large enough to comfortably house two males, I will aim to keep this tank empty but it will act as a life line for me incase I have a moment of weakness and I come across a betta (or two) that is so amazing that I just cannot say no then I will be able to keep them is this tank................just thought I would update on the situation but thankyou for your suggestions anyway