Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #1 
AkaRyu

Fluval Chi Comments?

Hello, I've been looking into buying a tank for my first Betta fish. I've been looking around at different starter kits, and the one that's really stuck out to me as the best for my money is the Fluval Chi 5 gallon. It's the only set that I've seen where people complain about the filter being too big/noisy or the tanks cracking.
http://www.amazon.com/Fluval-Chi-Aqu...rds=fluval+chi

Has anyone else used this tank? What are your thoughts?
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #2 
pittipuppylove

I have one that I picked up awhile back - it's a fairly decent little tank, but there are a few parts that probably aren't the best. The filter isn't bad at all; depending on how you set decor up on top it's anywhere from nearly silent to a easily audible trickle. The light's ok, but I'm not sure how it would do if you want to grow live plants other than those that do well under low light. Fluval wired the filter and lights together so that you manually have to turn the light on and off, so timers are a no-no if you want to run the filter all the time (which you need to do if you plan to cycle the tank). I'm not very impressed with the filter media, but it's livable and it'd be easy enough to adapt other media to fit.

Another point to consider is that the Chi is taller than it is long and that bettas typically appreciate a tank that is longer and/or deeper than it is tall. Heavier finned males may have issues with this tank, which could limit you to females or plakat males.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I love love love mine. Very attractive and classy no noise or cracking issues so far. The only "noise" is the water flowing, which is nice and relaxing. You can quiet it very easily however.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 PM   #4 
AkaRyu

Thank you for the responses :) I was considering a lower water line so hopefully he wont jump out of the tank.
I'd like to put a few live plants, maybe in the middle of the tank. I'm still doing research on that.
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:24 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Get a top instead of the lower water line. The filter buzzes and strains when the water line is too low. Not an issue, just add more water. The top is tranleucent and fits on easily.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #6 
frankiefire

I have a 5 gallon chi. I have no issues with it and my betta seems very happy. As far as plants I have low lights plants doing fine. I also have banana plants in there. I believe the banana plants require moderate light and they're surviing just fine. I dose once a week with ferts.
Attached Images

frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #7 
White Mage

It looks great, but I don't like it because it's involved in Chinese mysticism with feng shui and universal life energies or w/e. >.>

it looks cool, but I suggest you research what "Chi" is before you buy it.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Um... Ok then? I don't really follow those things but I believe flung shui is good. It's not like some sort of Chinese demon tank. I like mine cause it looks good.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 PM   #9 
lilyth88

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
It looks great, but I don't like it because it's involved in Chinese mysticism with feng shui and universal life energies or w/e. >.>

it looks cool, but I suggest you research what "Chi" is before you buy it.

I'm sure those who own it don't care about the name...
lilyth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #10 
frankiefire

That's why I bought it. I thought it looked cool. It's just a fish tank. lol.
frankiefire is offline   Reply With Quote