Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #11 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
It looks great, but I don't like it because it's involved in Chinese mysticism with feng shui and universal life energies or w/e. >.>

it looks cool, but I suggest you research what "Chi" is before you buy it.
+1
but I do not really think it does anything, it's just that the marketing blurb is in conflict with my faith as a Christian.

having said that, I looked at a demo at my LPS and there is a connectin stuck to the back wall which makes the top part appears to be fixed to the tank. I am not sure it is detachable but definitely will take some work. I am concerned about the drop in the outflow from a high point to the bottom of the tank. The surface area is reduced due to the square filter unit, i am not sure i like that. it is a photogenic tank and apart from that they are going for $65 at Petsmart.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #12 
tekkguy

I'm a pastor ... the Chi doesn't bother me. It's just marketing.

I actually bought one for my dad ... I wish he'd set it up already!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #13 
Bombalurina

Whilst I think it is mostly nonsense, I don't think Chi etc conflict with Christianity - science, maybe, but there is nothing about other dieties or spirits involved. :) Also, it's just a fish tank. I buy precious stones because they are pretty, not because they will help realign my chakras or whatnot, however they are marketed. :)

That being said, I prefer the Edge to the Chi, but the Chi is still gorgeous. Not the best value for money though, at least not here where they are a good $50 more expensive than the equivalent AquaOne.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #14 
White Mage

What "Chi" is from religion facts:

Quote:
Ch'i (also spelled Chi or Qi) is a fundamental concept in Chinese philosophy and culture. Found in Chinese traditional religion but especially Taoism, Ch'i literally means "air" or "breath," but as a concept it refers to the energy flow or life force that is said to pervade all things.
The nature of ch'i has always been a matter of debate in Chinese thinking. Some believe ch'i is a separate force from the physical world, while others think ch'i comes from physical matter. Still others, especially Chinese Buddhists and Taoists, hold that matter arises from ch'i.
The quality, quantity and balance of Ch'i is believed to be essential to maintaining health and achieving a long life. One author explains it this way:
"Qi is the basic material of all that exists. It animates life and furnishes functional power of events. Qi is the root of the human body; its quality and movement determine human health. There is a normal or healthy amount of qi in every person, and health manifests in its balance and harmony, its moderation and smoothness of flow." -- Livia Kohn, Health and Long Life: The Chinese Way
In addition to living a healthy life (both physically and psychologically), Ch'i can be regulated through practices like breath control, Ta'i Chi, massage and acupuncture. Nearly all techniques in traditional Chinese medicine are based on the concept of Ch'i.
Breath control is considered especially fundamental to balancing the levels of Ch'i in one's body. Controlled and meditative breathing, called hsing-ch'i, allows ch'i to permeate the entire body by imagining the breath as a visible current moving through the body. Another type of breathing exercise, t'ai-hsi, attempts to revert one's breathing to that of an fetus in the womb. This is considered especially powerful for longevity and immortality (especially in Taoism).
The traditional Chinese art of placement and arrangement of space called Feng Shui is also based on the flow of ch'i, as well as the five elements, yin and yang and other factors. The retention or dissipation of ch'i is believed to affect the health, wealth, energy level, luck and many other aspects of the occupants of the space. Color, shape and the physical location of each item in a space affects the flow of ch'i by slowing it down, redirecting it or accelerating it, which directly affects the ch'i of the occupants.
I'm sure it's just a marketing strategy, but the way they set it up also corresponds in the way of feng shui. Feng shui is used to promote positive energy and chase the negative energy and evil spirits away as a spiritual protection. Ghost hunters and Psychics use feng shui for spiritual protection...

I mean, the description on amazon gives it away:
Quote:
[...]Inspired by ancient Chinese culture, Chi describes the life force of living things and symbolizes the positive effects of energy. The flowing water of Fluval Chi is believed to encourage Feng Shui, bringing prosperity and good luck to your home.[...]

[...]It was designed to radiate positive energy throughout any home. The elegant yet subtle lines and harmonious balance of light and sound create a soothing atmosphere that gently envelops an area. Relax to the gentle sound of flowing water and the graceful movement of fish as Chi brings a peaceful ambiance to your space.[...]
As a Christian, I'm not ever going to buy it. If you want it, sure go ahead, just know what it really represents before you do.

If you want a modern-looking starter kit, I recommend the Fluval View. It's basically the same price, just a gallon smaller. On the bright side, it has a lid so the water won't evaporate so much. http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-V...ds=fluval+view

Last edited by White Mage; 03-07-2013 at 10:50 PM.
White Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #15 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Mage View Post
What "Chi" is from religion facts:

I'm sure it's just a marketing strategy, but the way they set it up also corresponds in the way of feng shui. Feng shui is used to promote positive energy and chase the negative energy and evil spirits away as a spiritual protection. Ghost hunters and Psychics use feng shui for spiritual protection...

I mean, the description on amazon gives it away:
As a Christian, I'm not ever going to buy it. If you want it, sure go ahead, just know what it really represents before you do.

If you want a modern-looking starter kit, I recommend the Fluval View. It's basically the same price, just a gallon smaller. On the bright side, it has a lid so the water won't evaporate so much. http://www.amazon.com/Hagen-Fluval-V...ds=fluval+view
Ok how did this turn into a philosophical debate, because Taoism and Buddhism are philosophies, not religions. Also how can you promote the View, when it is marketed by the same company that produces the Chi, which you are morally against?
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #16 
AkaRyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
Ok how did this turn into a philosophical debate, because Taoism and Buddhism are philosophies, not religions. Also how can you promote the View, when it is marketed by the same company that produces the Chi, which you are morally against?
^This

Also, I really don't know what to say to WhiteMage without being incredibly rude. Really? You won't buy a product because of the word "chi"? How can you have the word mage in your username, since it refers to magic?
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #17 
Freyja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaRyu View Post
^This

Also, I really don't know what to say to WhiteMage without being incredibly rude. Really? You won't buy a product because of the word "chi"? How can you have the word mage in your username, since it refers to magic?
I was gonna say that as well. Sounds a little hypocritical.

I don't have the tank personally but I've heard others complain about evaporation.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #18 
AkaRyu

But back on topic: I've decided to get this tetra cube tank
http://www.amazon.com/Tetra-Cube-Aqu...2348508&sr=1-2
I am really into the cube shaped tanks, I'm not sure why. It keeps the cube shape that I love and it's only 30$ :D I'll be getting a sponge filter for it instead of the filter that comes with it, I've heard bad reviews for it.
AkaRyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:04 PM   #19 
Freyja
Banned

Yeh ditch the filter. It is completely worthless. The tank though is pretty neat. A co-worker has it and likes it.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #20 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyja View Post
I am not educated enough on other religions, but I do not believe that the discussion and factual presentations are not used to tell people not to get the Chi.

Therefore, I think it would be fair to respect the viewpoint on Chi, either way and not lop-sided or personal attack.

I do not believe we attack anyone's belief in these posts. rather I see a factual approach to address the topic which is off-topic BTW.

tolerance take two sides and civil discussion should be factual and not emotional.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-08-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote