Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #1 
karbear625

Arrow Sorority Questions?

Hey guys!

I am Karlee and this Friday I am setting up my sorority in a 10 gallon tank kit. :) I sadly do not have time to do a cycle but for about 24 hours while I observe my females before putting them in my tank. I will be getting about 5 at our local Petco on Friday, and then watching them after I clean their water and feed them for about 24 hours while the tank is set up and adjusted so they will be all good to go Saturday evening. I do have some questions though so that I can make the best possible sorority I can!

1. What is the best way to do a simple 24 hour quarantine?
2. Is it possible to get a really large bowl and introduce them in before letting them loose in the tank?
3. How do I pick nice females from dirty cups?
4. Should I put stress coat and stuff in the tank when they go in?
5. What is the best way to get the tank as prepared as possible in 24 hours?

Thanks everybody! ;) And I will have an introduction to myself on one of the boards. (forget if there is an intro board)
karbear625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #2 
Bombalurina

Welcome to the forums. :)

It sounds from this like you don't have the females yet. Therefore, you have time to do a cycle...why is it that you don't have time? A sorority is a stressful situation to start with. You don't want to be adding the extra stress of the cycle for your girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbear625 View Post

1. What is the best way to do a simple 24 hour quarantine?
Ideally, you use six seperate tanks or containers, each with a seperate heater and no way of cross-contamination. However, 24 hours really isn't a large quarantine time - most problems will only manifest within a fortnight.
The best you can do is float their cups or bags in the larger tank to keep them warm, doing partial water changes to each container.

2. Is it possible to get a really large bowl and introduce them in before letting them loose in the tank?
Possible, but neither practical nor desirable. Much better for them to all meet in their new home - less stress.

3. How do I pick nice females from dirty cups?
If possible, don't buy from a place that keeps its fish in dirty containers. However, if that is the only place available, make sure you protest the conditiions!
Look for females that are colourful, responsive and capable of swimming. They should not be bloated, have torn fins or missing scales, or struggle to reach the top of the cup.

4. Should I put stress coat and stuff in the tank when they go in?
What is 'the stuff'? You should always dechlorinate the water before you put it in the tank, but it won't hurt to add StressCoat an hour or so before you put the fish in.

5. What is the best way to get the tank as prepared as possible in 24 hours?
Run the heater and filter for 24 hours to make sure everything is working. Make sure all of your ornaments are in, and test the water to make sure you don't have ammonia in your source water.

Thanks everybody! ;) And I will have an introduction to myself on one of the boards. (forget if there is an intro board)
Please do try and find the time to cycle. It will make a big difference. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:05 PM   #3 
karbear625

Thanks for replying! Me and my dad decided just to get a ten gallon and split it with two or three males. :) Well I can't get the tank until Friday because I dont have time to spend a nice while at Petco until that afternoon and I would like to help my dad set up a nice tank over the weekend so that I can teach him and he learns how to care for bettas before I head home and come back down later in the week. It's hard to explain! But we have it settled now and since I have owned multiple males before together it will just be better for the both of us.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

Cool. :) Make sure you explain the cycle to him so that he can put in the extra care that a cycling tank needs! :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #5 
karbear625

Yep. ;) We will be doing it all together and I am excited to teach him all of the new things I learned from all you wonderful people on here!