Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 
Caii

Exclamation Urgent: White fin spots and raised lesion?

Hey everyone~

While I was changing Bo's tank, I noticed that Bo has developed three white spots on his tail (he only has a few brown freckles on his tail, normally.) And on one side, I've noticed one "smooth" patch that's discolored and paler than usual... It looks worse than it did this morning, when these were the best pictures I could get. Now the patch looks like a white and elevated lesion off of Bo's side... I'm really worried about him, and I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to him

His behavior hasn't changed much throughout the day, and I've been through the sickness/ treatment stickies and nothing seems to fit. What could it be, and what should I do in the meantime?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Pellets and Brine Shrimp every Saturday
How often do you feed your betta fish? 5 pellets dispersed throghout the day (3 in the morning, 2 at night) with some brine shrimp on Saturday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1 50% change on Wednesday, and a 100% on Saturdays
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Water Dechlorinator or API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
As of 30 minutes after the water change...
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Three white spots on tail and one discolored patch on the opposite side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning (Feb. 23rd)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I did a 100% water change, boiled the gravel, and added API Stress Coat w/Aloe Vera to see if that would help. I have Aquarium Salt, but I don't know if I should wait to use it... I also have API's Bettafix, but once again, I'm hesitant to use anything if I don't have to put Bo through the stress.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had Bo since Jan. 16th

Like I said, I have AQ Salt, but should I do it even when I don't know what I'm up against?
I know the ammonia is high (the previous reading was at .5 ppm!), but I did two 100% water changes and the ammonia reading has consistently been .25 ppm (the test I'm using is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.)

Please let me know your opinions of what I can do- thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Bo and Caii
Attached Images

Last edited by Caii; 02-23-2013 at 09:49 PM.
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 PM   #2 
Caii

Anyone, please?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 PM   #3 
Caii

UPDATE: I added half a teaspoon of Aquarium Salt to see how Bo would react... so far so good.. I hope he survives 'til morning... fingers crossed; please reply if you can! Thank you!
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Does it look fuzzy at all? Have you looked at him under a flashlight?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I also think there may be ammonia in your tap water. I would get Seachem Prime conditioner when you can and test your tap water. Make sure you are reading the tests in bright fluorescent lighting.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #6 
Caii

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Does it look fuzzy at all? Have you looked at him under a flashlight?
Thank you for answering, Ayala!
It doesn't look fuzzy- just white. And no; in the light it looks like a more shimmery, blue patch.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #7 
Caii

Quote:
I also think there may be ammonia in your tap water. I would get Seachem Prime conditioner when you can and test your tap water. Make sure you are reading the tests in bright fluorescent lighting.
Alright.... should the Seachem prime be what I use from now on? Until I can get that, what should I do?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Just change the water often. If you have .25 ammonia in your tap, all you can do I'd make sure it doesn't increase from there. Live plants or a cycled filter are the only ways to completely rid that issue... Prime will detoxify ammonia for 24-48 hours only, but it will help lessen the effects.

The good news is... He doesn't have any behavioral issues. I can't tell you for sure if this is something you should be concerned about. Does it look like salt grains? If it doesn't look like salt and it isn't fuzzy, it could be just discolored patches... I don't know what might cause that.

I'd watch those spots and make sure they do not develop into fuzz or salt grain- like spots. Make sure his behavior is normal.

If he has any behavioral symptoms like lethargy, random darting, clamped fins, etc... Then it is probably time to be concerned.

Keep the water as clean as possible. If you are worried or have the resources now or later down the road, you can also get IAL or VitaChem which help boost the immune system and prevent disease. Live plants are also good but would require adequate lighting and possibly a nutrient supplement like Flourish.

Edit: it also would not hurt to get a second or third opinion from a few other members...

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 02-23-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 PM   #9 
Noobalva

+1 to ayala.

Cai just keep and close watch on him if it is a cause for concern his body language will let you know.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #10 
Caii

Quote:
Just change the water often. If you have .25 ammonia in your tap, all you can do I'd make sure it doesn't increase from there. Live plants or a cycled filter are the only ways to completely rid that issue... Prime will detoxify ammonia for 24-48 hours only, but it will help lessen the effects.

The good news is... He doesn't have any behavioral issues. I can't tell you for sure if this is something you should be concerned about. Does it look like salt grains? If it doesn't look like salt and it isn't fuzzy, it could be just discolored patches... I don't know what might cause that.

I'd watch those spots and make sure they do not develop into fuzz or salt grain- like spots. Make sure his behavior is normal.

If he has any behavioral symptoms like lethargy, random darting, clamped fins, etc... Then it is probably time to be concerned.

Keep the water as clean as possible. If you are worried or have the resources now or later down the road, you can also get IAL or VitaChem which help boost the immune system and prevent disease. Live plants are also good but would require adequate lighting and possibly a nutrient supplement like Flourish.

Edit: it also would not hurt to get a second or third opinion from a few other members...
I have an Anubias Nana plant in there, but I may add some hornwort... I'm waiting to see how the salt affects everything, you know?

It doesn't look like salt grains thus far; just three white spots. I added another half teaspoon of the aquarium salt since he took the first one alright, so I'll see if there's any difference/inprovement in the morning. It just looks so... raw... hopefully I can get a better picture tomorrow.

I plan on moving Bo into the NPT 10 gallon tank I'm currently cycling once it's ready. Thank you so much for your help Ayala! I'm still very worried, but you've made me feel more at peace, thank you.

Haha, and I'd agree- the more input the better (if only anyone else would care to put in their two cents! ^^')

Tags
aquarium salt, white spots