Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #11 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobalva View Post
+1 to ayala.

Cai just keep and close watch on him if it is a cause for concern his body language will let you know.
Thanks Noobalva~ you guys are awesome
Hopefully it won't worsen overnight! ^^;;;

Last edited by Caii; 02-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #12 
AyalaCookiejar
Member
 
AyalaCookiejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Anubias I believe are slow growing plants that won't do much for water quality. Hopefully you'll have plenty of fast growing stem and floating plants in the ten gallon. He will love the upgrade.

It doesn't look too incredibly concerning at this point, but I am not certain what could cause it, so err on the side of caution.

For a disease such as columnaris, if it develops into fuzzy patches, meds need to be very readily available because columnaris often kills quickly if not treated promptly.... I'm not trying to scare you, but I think its something to be aware of...
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #13 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Anubias I believe are slow growing plants that won't do much for water quality. Hopefully you'll have plenty of fast growing stem and floating plants in the ten gallon. He will love the upgrade.

It doesn't look too incredibly concerning at this point, but I am not certain what could cause it, so err on the side of caution.

For a disease such as columnaris, if it develops into fuzzy patches, meds need to be very readily available because columnaris often kills quickly if not treated promptly.... I'm not trying to scare you, but I think its something to be aware of...
In the 10 gal I have multiple Java ferns, jungle vals, corkscrew vals, a big cloud of hornwort, a decent vine of pennywort, and an umbrella plant with another big thing of Anubias... am I good on the plants, thus far?
I'm hoping that Bo will make it to the tank, in all honesty... I was planning on making it a community tank with a small school of harliquin rasboras or a couple of ADF's... but at this point, I just want Bo to be alright...

Noobalva was messaging me about columnaris... I'm hoping that's not it, but I'm really worried... I dosed Bo's 2.5 gallon aquarium with a teaspoon of aquarium salt and Bettafix. Hopefully I can see what the issue is by morning with better light...

So far, it looks like 100% daily water changes, aquarium salt and bettafix for a week will be the course of action... what do you think?
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #14 
AyalaCookiejar
Member
 
AyalaCookiejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
I'd get rid of the bettafix. Bettafix, melafix... Pretty much anything with "fix" at the end contains tea tree oil that can coat the labyrinth organ and suffocate him...

I'm not a plant expert, honestly. I believe planted ones (anubias, java fern, Val's, I think) grow slower. Slow growing plants don't help the water much. I think that stem plants and floaters grow faster and help water quality more. If the plants aren't healthy and start to rot or die, they will cause ammonia spikes. The best way to test if you have enough plants is to add the fish and test the water every day for awhile, if you never see ammonia, the tank is planted well enough.

Columnaris is scary. I hope he doesn't have it... At this point, only time will tell.

Kanaplex is a great medication for bacterial and fungal infections if you can ever get it. It often needs to be ordered online, and it treats columnaris and dropsy, septicemia, fast moving bacterial infections that need to be treated immediately for any chance of survival. I know that sometimes money isn't always available easily and things like back-up meds and all those just-in-case things really add up, but in my opinion, Kanaplex is almost a must. VitaChem or IAL are additives you can use to boost the immune system and prevent infection. All are very useful.... It took me a few months to build up my stash of VitaChem and all my back up medications, but the only two meds that have come in handy often were Kanaplex and metro.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #15 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I'd get rid of the bettafix. Bettafix, melafix... Pretty much anything with "fix" at the end contains tea tree oil that can coat the labyrinth organ and suffocate him...

I'm not a plant expert, honestly. I believe planted ones (anubias, java fern, Val's, I think) grow slower. Slow growing plants don't help the water much. I think that stem plants and floaters grow faster and help water quality more. If the plants aren't healthy and start to rot or die, they will cause ammonia spikes. The best way to test if you have enough plants is to add the fish and test the water every day for awhile, if you never see ammonia, the tank is planted well enough.

Columnaris is scary. I hope he doesn't have it... At this point, only time will tell.

Kanaplex is a great medication for bacterial and fungal infections if you can ever get it. It often needs to be ordered online, and it treats columnaris and dropsy, septicemia, fast moving bacterial infections that need to be treated immediately for any chance of survival. I know that sometimes money isn't always available easily and things like back-up meds and all those just-in-case things really add up, but in my opinion, Kanaplex is almost a must. VitaChem or IAL are additives you can use to boost the immune system and prevent infection. All are very useful.... It took me a few months to build up my stash of VitaChem and all my back up medications, but the only two meds that have come in handy often were Kanaplex and metro.
Thanks for the advice... I'm just really on pins and needles right now, you know?

This morning I didn't want to get up in case Bo had passed away... thankfully he's still fluttering around as usual.

For the Kanaplex, what kind should I get? There are several kinds on Ebay and I'm not sure as which one to use...

The white spot's become more visible in pictures, and under the flashlight on my phone, it looks like it's gotten a bit bigger. Unfortunately, the pictures still suck because Bo doesn't like sitting still and if I use flash, it freaks him out big time.

Still, I was able to get a blurry photo of it...
It doesn't really look white until I'm up against the glass and I see it, and when I shine my phone light on it, I can see the small fuzzies.
Argh!

How does this sort of thing happen? I always rince everything with very hot water before and after I use them (I'm paranoid about getting Bo sick), and I never cross-use anything between the 10 gal and Bo's 2.5 gal... I'm seriously at a loss.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Caii; 02-24-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #16 
Noobalva
New Member
 
Noobalva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada.
Glad he's still alive.

But even if you are vigilant about keeping his water and stuff clean, having ammonia in your tap water without knowing is enough to cause him stress and make him vulnerable.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #17 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noobalva View Post
Glad he's still alive.

But even if you are vigilant about keeping his water and stuff clean, having ammonia in your tap water without knowing is enough to cause him stress and make him vulnerable.
Thank you Noobalva- I know, but I used the last of my money last night on the Aquarium Salt and Bettafix... I've got $3 to my name...

I'm currently in the process of changing his tank:
He's sitting in his holding container and the aquarium salt's dissolving in his tank with the doubledose of API Stress Coat as we speak. I took out almost all of the gravel to make daily clean up and changes easier, but I've decided to keep the anubias and the fake grass in there to make him feel more at home... even if the anubias dies, I want Bo to be comfortable. I'm contemplating putting some of my hornwort from the cycling 10 gallon in there to act as a carbon sink, but I don't have a light on Bo's tank and I don't know if the plant's going to mess with his system even more... ack!

In the meantime, I'm thinking of doing 25% changes in the morning before I go to school, then doing the full 100% when I come back later in the evenings... do you think this would be alright or is it too much?

Last edited by Caii; 02-24-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #18 
AyalaCookiejar
Member
 
AyalaCookiejar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
That would probably stress him too much. A 100% a day or every other day with 25% or 50% in between should work.

I have Kanaplex by Seachem... I only know that it comes in two sizes.

This could also just be a fungal infection.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #19 
Caii
New Member
 
Caii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Near San Antonio, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
That would probably stress him too much. A 100% a day or every other day with 25% or 50% in between should work.

I have Kanaplex by Seachem... I only know that it comes in two sizes.

This could also just be a fungal infection.
Argh... I'm honestly just at a loss, to be truthful.

Should I treat it like it's columnaris as a worst-case scenario even if it IS just a fungal infection? Right now I'm just sticking to the API Stress Coat double dose and the AQ salt at the moment... if it gets to the point where it's not working, I'll have to use whatever else I have.

Bo means the world to me, and he's already gone through so much... I don't want him to die or suffer after everything...
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #20 
Noobalva
New Member
 
Noobalva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario. Canada.
I would leave the gravel in the tank and not clean it too much, since you've already cleaned it, as it makes a good place for BB to reproduce and break down ammonia in the water ( also too clean is just as bad as not clean).

As ayala said too much water change will stress him aswell, either stick with the 100% daily...or do that every other day with 50% change in between.

Also picking a small piece of your hornwork would help the rid ammonia aswell. Since hornwort is fast growing and doesnt need alot of light it'll be just fine...it's a very hardy plant.
Noobalva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aquarium salt, white spots

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
White patch blueboy Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 0 03-26-2012 12:46 PM
Betta with white patch on tail & black dalmatian like spots (pics, before and after) ESalvi Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 1 02-16-2012 11:39 PM
Red Zen, white patch.. Echo Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 07-13-2011 11:48 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.