Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 12:37 AM   #1 
RubyFalls

New to Owning a Betta...

I could really use some pointers here. I have never had a fish before...
I just got West today and I really want to make sure he is in a happy environment. My friend had a few bettas, but after reading through all the guides (which were very helpful, thank you guys) I'm starting to see she didn't really properly care for them.
I've got a tiny tank for him (http://www.leesaqpet.com/component/v...etail?Itemid=0), mostly just as a starter to get him out of his little container. A friend of mine is going to give me a much better tank hopefully tomorrow. I'm not sure the exact size, but I want to say 5 gallons. I've look around but really haven't found anything to answer the questions I have.

So first question: When I transfer him to his new tank, should I do the same process as when I brought him home (acclimating him to his new environment and such) or is this more for the different pH balances?

Second question: I was told by my friend (again not sure if I should just take her for her word, so I'm asking) to just used purified water. Is this ok? Should I still use the water conditioner? And if I'm going from conditioned tap water in his current tank to purified water in his new tank, should I acclimate him again.

Last question: What is this ammonia detoxifer that came with my tank and how do I use it?

Sorry for all the questions but I'd really appreciate some guidance with this. Thank you
RubyFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM   #2 
sainthogan

You can acclimate him by cupping him, then letting his cup float in his new tank for a while, every so often, switch out a little water from the tank into his cup, until you have changed out 100% of the water. Then you can add him.
Purified water is ok, but can get expensive, and sometimes can lack the essential nutrients needed for your fish. Tap water is your best bet with a conditioner.
IMO ammonia detoxifer should only be used if your tap water contains ammonia. It should NEVER be used in place of water changes and a properly cycled tank. With a 5 gallon tank, you'll need to do a 25% to 50% water change weekly, unless you don't have live plants or a filter, then you'll need to do 2.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

1) Acclimate a fish every time it's going somewhere new.

2) Use conditioned tap water,it contains minerals your fish needs.

3) Ammonia detoxifier is completely unnecessary. Regular water changes instead.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #4 
RubyFalls

Thank you guys! I feel so bad for West, because I really have no idea what I'm doing. I'm really worried he is stressed out in this minimal tank but hopefully I'll have him set up and ready to go tomorrow. He's not chilling at the bottom all the time, but its tiny so it's hard to tell really if he is or not.

So first time I acclimated I just did what it said on the back. Set the bag he was in inside the new full tank for about ten minutes. No shock (I'm assuming because I actually have no idea how long that takes to affect the fish). So I should slowly replace the water?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

When acclimatising, you are supposed to add small amounts of water from the tank into the bag/container your fish is in over a certain period of time. It is not just temperature changes that cause shock. Many bettas will survive just being tossed straight from the store bag into the tank. All mine have. However, if you want to play it safe, it is always best to acclimatise first.

For future reference (because you never usually stop at one betta), the easiest method I have found to do this, is to buy some airline tubing (it's usually $1 or less per metre) and a valve to control the flow of water (I get mine for 40c here).

You put your betta in a bucket or large container, and run your airline tubing down from your tank into your bucket. Using the valve you turn the flow down until it is a fast dribble (bettas aren't massively sensitive so don't really need to have it dripped in over several hours) and come back when the water in the bucket is mostly tank water mixed with a little bit of store water.

I would say with an adult betta, adding water in over a period of half an hour to an hour is ample. Like I said, they are not an extremely sensitive fish and so you don't need to go overboard.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 AM   #6 
RubyFalls

Ok, I can't swear last questions but I keep seeing different answers on this. How often do I feed him?
The PetCo guy told me 3 times a week, I have seen 2-3 times a day, and everything in between. As far as you guys treat your own, how often do you feed it?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I feed my bettas once or twice a day. You want your betta's stomach to be gently rounded, not looking like they swallowed a marble. If he starts looking more blimp than betta, it may be time to cut back on the amount you are feeding or fast him for a day or so until everything passes through.

I think the amount a betta is fed is a personal preference. I probably feed my bettas too much compared to some members, but the main thing is that your betta is not fat or underweight.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 AM   #8 
RubyFalls

Thank you so much. I'm just trying to make sure I cover all my bases.

You can see what he is in now on my profile. His tank just seems so horrible to me. Getting his new tank tomorrow with more additions for him to play around. I think at some point when I become comfortable with taking care of him I'll throw in some live plants. This new tank has a filter and I'm not really sure how to handle that, but I'm sure there is info on here I can look at or my friend can guide me.

Thank you guys for your help.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 AM   #9 
RubyFalls

Oh my gosh guys help

I noticed him literally laying on the gravel. I have no idea why but the water was pretty cold. I put him under a light (is that ok?) to try and temporarily warm the water while pulling out some new water.

But he seems PISSED. I think I'm screwing him up and don't want to give him shock. What do?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #10 
LittleBettaFish

It's okay. We all start somewhere. Bettas can end up in some terrible places, and it looks like West has landed in a good home.

If you want to do live plants, three of the hardiest plants around are anubias, java fern and java moss. They will grow without any help or special attention from you, and I've found that live plants provide a lot of mental enrichment for bettas as it gives them something of a definable 'territory' to patrol and defend.

Just saw your update, how cold is cold? It could be that he is just resting. It's not uncommon for bettas to lay on the bottom of their tank, particularly if newly introduced.

Don't try and warm up the water. Fluctuating temperatures can be worse than the water being at a less than ideal temperature.

Maybe wrap his container in a towel, move him to the warmest part of the house and see how he goes.

Tags
betta care, new owner, questions