Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #1 
Nowaykittay

Berta leaf hammock too low?

I mentioned in another thread that I bought a leaf hammock for my betta. I removed the wire (thank you to the person whi suggested that) and its still rigid enough to support him. The thing is instead of using the leaf he somehow manages to balance on the actual suction cup! Is this a sign the leaf is too far below the surface of the water? I included a picture ( he loves to flare at the camera) of the suction cup/ leaf. He also is obsessed with the heater and has built a bubble nest around it which I assume is normal behavior and not a sign that my tank is too cold?
Attached Images

Nowaykittay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #2 
MistersMom

Lol, each betta is special, i think he's fine... we all sit in our chairs differently dont we?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #3 
Saphira101

I've heard of quite a few Bettas who prefer the suction cup to the actual leaf. xD Also, my fishy (one of them) generally builds his bubble nests around the heater as well, and the temp is just right. I think your guy is fine :)

EDIT: I also don't think your hammock is too low. It looks just right.
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #4 
Nowaykittay

Okay good! I was worried that maybe he couldn't get enough air easily when he was on it but of course right as I post this I catch him napping on it -_____- and I checked my thermometer and its right at 78 f as usual so I guess it's the same as when I use a blanket even if my room isn't cold haha thank you for your responses! I've been looking for more tank accessories and I just have no idea what to get and I'm on a budget so I really want the leaf to be a good thing for him :(
Old 02-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #5 
MistersMom

Coffe mugs, they love those, terracota pots, live/fake plants... stuff to swim in and out of, hide behind... etc.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:09 AM   #6 
Nowaykittay

Do I need to boil terra cotta pots? I was worried about them leaching into the water :s I was thinking of getting some silk plants at petsmart but a lot of them seem to have wires that you can't remove without destroying the whole thing. Any recommendations?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #7 
MistersMom

no, you don't have to boil them, just make sure the hole in the bottom is big enough he can easily swim through, or small enought that he doesn't THINK he can.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #8 
Nowaykittay

Okay :) thank you that's an awesome idea and they're like 70 cents at Walmart so that's definitely doable!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #9 
MistersMom

Yepp!! good luck!
Old 02-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #10 
Otterfun

My Fred used to hide underneath the non-adjustable heater.

Also, the reason why he was "hugging" the heater was that it was inconsistent 74F-78F in matter of hours, and he was cold.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote