Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-05-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
TaylerHill

Question What kind of tank seems to have the least amount of reflection?

My fish Moe started chasing his reflection and has even ripped his bottom fin in three places because of it. right now hes in a plastic tank. would glass have less of a reflection? I have put white paper as the background but i feel bad to cover his whole tank so i couldnt see him and he would be in the dark. any suggestions? I will get him a new tank if need be.
TaylerHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #2 
bettabetter

hmm well I'm no expert, but it could also be a light thing. you know when you try to look out a window in the dark, it acts like a mirror? well if you tank is lighter than the room around it, it will have the same effect. do you have a tank light? do you have the tank light on all the time, or when the room around it is dark? if you have one, make sure to turn it off when the room starts getting dark, so it isn't creating a mirror effect :)
bettabetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 
TaylerHill

No he does not have a tank light. he does this in the day and at night. the only light he gets is natural but not direct sunlight and the ceiling light from the room at night.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #4 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylermckee View Post
No he does not have a tank light. he does this in the day and at night. the only light he gets is natural but not direct sunlight and the ceiling light from the room at night.
hmm this is strange... and also, i thought that plastic is actually better than glass when it comes to reflections my plastic tank never really reflects my fish, at least i have never seen him flare in this tank at his reflection, but i used to have him in a glass one and he flared all the time!
Anyway, to try to solve your problem: do you ever clean the walls of this tank when you do a 100% water change??? i find that if it's dirty, this can be a problem too (actually, this applies mostly to glass, but oh well)
Old 03-06-2013, 01:38 PM   #5 
TaylerHill

Yes i do i scrub the tank sides when i change water
Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #6 
bettabetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylermckee View Post
Yes i do i scrub the tank sides when i change water
well then, i'm sorry but i really can suggest nothing else but to go look in a pet shop for a good tank that doesn't seem to reflect to much. sorry, i can't help any further really, i don't know anything else that could be causing this but a poor quality tank!