Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #1 
coolpurplecat

sick betta- inflamed gills

i have a femal betta and she was fine until she started to have scaled rise on her gills. i researched and found out it was inflamed gills :( she also has some stuff on her side, like red and the scales are raised, but she dose not have dropsy. so i now got some betta fix because she was being bullied, and some triple sulfa to help, but i need to know if shes ok i have isolated her at the moment, and i heard that ampicillin is the right medication, but can you please tell me what else she has? thank you so much! also i took some pictures of her so it will be easier it will be attached to this email, but if you dont get them, please let me know ^^thank you so much :)
coolpurplecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I'm not seeing any pics or a link for pics. Most on here will advise against using Betta fix as it has an ingredient that can damage their labyrinth organ.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #3 
callistra

Raised scales is dropsy, but post photos to confirm. Also the inflamed gills is likely from poor water conditions, as is the number one cause of dropsy.

Photos and more info is needed: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

In the meantime, if this is dropsy, You need epsom salt at 1 tsp per gallon. It should be pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no other addititves. Predissolve it and add it slowly over an hour to avoid shock. I get mine at CVS Pharmacy.

I would also look for a good internal antibiotic like Kanaplex. If you can't find it Triple sulfa or Maracyn 1 and 2 in combo could work. You need to treat for two weeks using the epsom salt and antibiotics. Follow directions for Meds. Only readd the salts with a water change and only add back as much salt as water you change.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:34 PM   #4 
coolpurplecat

ok i finally have the photos! (i hope they work though.....can you tell me how to do it if they dont show up?) thank you guys so much. the photos will tell you something, but on the internet, i read you need ampicillin to treat imflamed gills, but i dont know where to buy it because all of the petstores i went to dont have it :( i have her in a 2 gallon tank, and i started her with triple sulfa and some betta fix which i heard was kinda bad...so should i do a water change? but then what do i do? i love this fish and i really want to help her out....:( thank you so much!

[IMG]http:///Users/moralesfamily/Desktop/IMG_1232.jpg
/Users/moralesfamily/Desktop/IMG_1219.JPG
/Users/moralesfamily/Desktop/IMG_1235.JPG
/Users/moralesfamily/Desktop/IMG_1115.JPG
/Users/moralesfamily/Desktop/IMG_1215.JPG
/Users/moralesfamily/Desktop/IMG_1120.JPG
/Users/moralesfamily/Desktop/IMG_1116.JPG[/IMG]
Old 02-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #5 
callistra

I can't see your computer.. you need to go to advanced mode to upload them.

ampicillin won't help dropsy.

Triple Sulfa might work. Epsom salts are NEEDED

Please fill out the guide so we can help more..
Old 02-25-2013, 10:43 PM   #6 
coolpurplecat

its not dropsy...only a little and that part is red, and like it looks like its infected.....ill try to get photos...how do you do a link? like when you click in the paperclip, and you can see the photos? thanks!
Old 02-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #7 
callistra

If scales are sticky up it's dropsy.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #8 
coolpurplecat

can you help me post pics? i cant seem to do it. ive been trating her and like she has some red rim around her eye, and i think its a sore, not dropsy
Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 PM   #9 
AyalaCookiejar

How do you know she doesn't have dropsy? When did this start? I had a female die from dropsy and the raised scales started JUST on her face and gills and spread to her body and she wasn't bloated.

Edit: actually, go to tinypic.com, upload the image and copy and paste the [ img ] code..

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 02-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #10 
coolpurplecat

heres one of the pictues....i hope you can tell what she has
thanks!