Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 12:21 AM   #1 
Xaltd1

Live Food Options

I know that my selected breeding pair should have live food, and my fry should have live food. I've researched to the point that I'm dizzy. I ordered brine shrimp eggs- but they have to be free of the shells?? I can try and grow infusoria in a jar, but what's the time frame? (Plus, if I can't see them, how do I feed them to fry??)
I have a few cherry shrimp in my main tank. I've ordered more to breed in a separate tank. I'm assuming the juvies would be good food for the breeding pair?
I've gone as far as to thinking that guppy fry would be good food for the parents as well. (SORRY FOR BEING CRUEL!)
PetCo always has ghost shrimp as feeders- is that a good option?
I AM SO CONFUSED!!! I want the best nutrition possible for my breeding pair and my fry.
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:29 AM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I know some people on here hate them, but mostly everyone I know in Australia uses live blackworms to condition their betta pairs for breeding, even one of the top importers of bettas in Australia.

Someone here mentioned that it makes bettas thick, but some of my bettas are fed almost exclusively on live blackworms and I have had no issues at all with my fish being able to spawn.

Always buy them from a reputable source though and rinse them well before using, as some stores can be a little lax with the care of their blackworms. When they die they stink to high heaven and I would not touch them or feed them to my fish.

Live foods for my fry include microworms, BBS, grindal worms, white worms and live blackworms. I usually feed microworms and BBS until they are big enough for grindals. Then I feed mostly grindals until they get big enough for the white worms, blackworms and the NLS .5mm pellets.

You don't want to feed the shell of the BBS to your fry. If you use a torch, you will find that some eggs float, some eggs sink, and the BBS congregate around the torch light allowing you to siphon them off.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #3 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Shrimp fry are great as feeders. The problem is getting them to hatch - it takes way too long. So IMO it's not worth the trouble. Guppy fry are also great for adults. But again you will need them give birth every 3 - 4 days because guppy fry will be too fast and maybe too big. It's ok to use them as treats, but don't rely on them as feeders.

Blackworms,bloodworms, or any kind of worms - live or frozen, are great to fatten up your bettas. You can also use mosquito larvae, daphnia, or any insect larvae small enough. I sometimes feed minced shrimp, ant eggs, tiny earthworms as treats - anytime I can find/buy them. I don't limit the type of food. I will feed them anything they would eat. Just remember to rinse them well before use to avoid diseases.
indjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:38 AM   #4 
Xaltd1

Thank you both. The problem is that I live on the other side of the globe- I'm on the Northeast coast of the US. The ground is frozen solid w/ a good 12" of snow pack!!
LBS, when you said to use a 'torch", I freaked! Then I assume you mean "flashlight"- in the US, a torch is a hand-held gas open flame used for welding!!! ;0) It would turn any fish to fish soup.
If I wait another 4 months, I can collect mosquito larva & ant eggs outdoors. The only local worms I could collect would be eathworms, which are far to big.
Where do you get black worms commercially? The only live food the fish stores have are ghost shrimp, which are too big for babies. I have 2 breeding pair of cherry shrimp in my 29 gallon. I've seen babies, but I think the "girls" are eating them. I've ordered more shrimp for their own tank, so I can have more adults to do clean-up duty, plus I will have some extra baby shrimp for snacks.
Would it make sense to have some adult cherry shrimp in with the fry (to help remove uneaten food)? Or would they eat the fry?
Old 02-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #5 
GhostFeather

If you are not to squimish,you can go to a bait shop and buy maggots,just cut them up a little,my Bettas love them.
I also feed mine FruitFly maggots(they are just the right size for Bettas.
I also feed live BlackWorms,White Worms,Grindals,in the summer Mosquito Larva,along with frozen BloodWorms and Brine Shrimp.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:47 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

I don't know of any bait shops open @ this time of year! I guess my real question is "where can I find live food for bettas when it's 17 degrees out with 18" of snow on the ground?" ;0)
Old 02-25-2013, 09:23 PM   #7 
GhostFeather

Your from Mass.,there should be some open for Ice Fishing.
GhostFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #8 
Xaltd1

No ice fishing here!
We have more ocean than freshwater, here on the coast.
I just got my black worms- the bettas are very happy!!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #9 
Myates

If having trouble with finding live foods right now, then you can just use high quality pellets + lots of frozen food such as bloodworms.. the frozen work pretty much just as good as live.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #10 
Xaltd1

Yes; the frozen cubes of brine shrimp & other types are gobbled up by the bettas. I don't understand why they aren't considered as good as live.
But it is a riot to watch the fish go after the live worms!! Like kids chasing spaghetti that's trying to get away!