Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 01:48 AM   #1 
MomaDragonfly

Replacing water after change

This will be the first time im using the gravel vac and doing a 50% water change... Hes been in his new 5 gal tank for 2 days, tomorrow being 3 and it was not cycled first because his other bowl was way to cold and I needed to get him into the warmer water. My question is... when you take out half the water with the fish still in the tank, how do you replace the water with a big change in the old waters temp? I know I need to unplug the thermometer and filter. but im unsure of how to put the new water into the tank without harming the Betta. This is my first tank and first Betta and im trying really hard to get everything right. My tank thermomater is attached to the outisde of the tank and I cannot remove it. Should I buy another one for the new water and how would I heat it? Please help soon... as I need to do this tomorrow sometime. Thank you!!
Attached Images

MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Nice tank, I answered this question on your other thread but ill answer here. I temp match by feel, it'll be a degree or two different but that won't harm him. Just run your hot & cold tap until its the temp you want, make sure you add water conditioner to the new water before you add it to the tank. Pour gently keeping an eye on him, I have one Betta that insists on getting into the stream of water so I have to be extra careful with him. I suggest you get a cave structure for him, this will serve two purposes; a place for him to hide & something you can pour the water onto without disturbing your gravel.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #3 
MomaDragonfly

Thank you for answering. Im so nervous im going to harm or kill him. Another person asnwered a different thread I posted about not cycling the water, as I did not know anything about cycling and was told by yet another person that his one gal was too cold and he needed to be put into the new tank immediatly. I hope everything goes well. Im also going to get a water test kit along with the cave. I planned on getting something for him to hide but have been feeling a little under the weather so I haven't done so yet. Thanks again!!! I know im probaly a pain posting the basically the same questions. Thanks for the patience and answers.
MomaDragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

LOL. We've all been in your shoes . . . a newbie! You can use a coffee cup as a cave, just wash it in HOT HOT HOT water with no soap, set it in the tank on its side. He definitely needs a water temp 78-80F so you're doing right.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 
sainthogan

I use gallon jugs that are warmish (by feel). Because the water here in the winter is so unpredictable and filled with massive amounts of air pockets (which can have freezing cold water or scorching hot water in them), I make the water hot, then let it cool for several hours until it feels from the outside about the same as the outside of my tanks. Then, after I take the water out, I pour it back in on top of one of their big decorations so the flow doesn't disrupt their plants and gravel.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #6 
sarahspins

Close counts :) It's fine to put 78˚ or 82˚ water in an 80˚ tank, but you wouldn't want to fill it with 70˚ - that would be a shock to the system for your fish.

If you can, buy another thermometer to check the temp of your fill water, you can check the temp of the tap water by just placing it in a cup with the thermometer in it while the water runs - adjust until it's where you want it, or very close, then fill your bucket or whatever you are using to fill your tank, treat that water with dechlor, and you're good to go :)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote