Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 02:32 AM   #1 
Hopelessaddict101

Help!?

So... my veil-tail is getting really sick :( Sorry, this will be kind of hard to help me as I don't have a camera etc..

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 20G
What temperature is your tank? 28C
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? I WAS feeding this for awhile, and coincidentally he started getting sick around then: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=125282

How often do you feed your betta fish? once a night but he hasn't really been eating..

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week or every two
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? usually 50% but sometimes 100% if i've been slacking
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner (same brand since i've had him)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

I don't have a test kit anymore.. :( but the system has NEVER crashed on me :/

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? white-ish slime over his head? maybe? fins have gotten a tad shorter.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lying on bottom of tank, barely active, very stressed. won't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? maybe two weeks or so ago?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I've put epsom salt into his water, and just tonight put some wunder tonic into his water to maybe help against fungal skin problems.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? he had cotton tail when I first got him, and a slight case of fin rot later on but it was treated.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him last year, I think.. He's a full grown adult though.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry your guy isn't feeling well. When was your last water change & how much was changed. Cycles can crash on tanks at any time so its possible yours has so I would get the water tested but baring that I'd do a 50% water change to see if that helps him at all & I would make sure to do weekly 50%+ water changes from now on. What kind of "water tonic" did you add? Is he struggling to swim at all?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #3 
Hopelessaddict101

It's sooo stressful. :(

And I done it a week ago and done 75% and put in epsom salt. and I'm going to try get the water tested but I live in the country so it's really hard to and grr. :( i'm so frustrated!

The water tonic is called Wunder Tonic. I've used it before to treat fungus skin problems and it was good.

He is struggling to swim, he's really just spending most of his time on the bottom of the tank now. He will only swim if I slightly shake the tank and he will dart everywhere and then sink again.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM   #4 
callistra

I think we went through this in your other threads.. increasing water changes and the meds aren't good for bacterial etc..

Also might want to read this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #5 
Hopelessaddict101

Thank you :)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 AM   #6 
Tikibirds

Quote:
What size is your tank? 20G
Is this supposed to be 2 gallon?
If its a 2G, you should up the water changes. And water conditioner is needed - actual water conditioner like Prime, stress coat, anything that removes chlorine and heavy metals
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #7 
Hopelessaddict101

Nope... 20g. I don't have a 2g :) I use water conditioner.

I'm just not sure if my system has crashed or what because I don't have a water test kit anymore..

If it helps, around the time he got sick I introduced a whole bunch of plants to his tank for 2-3 days (to keep them alive), and a *stupid mistake* I didn't QT them as the people I buy them off never usually mix the plants with their fish, but when I got them they were in a new tank soo..