Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 08:54 AM   #1 
alunjai

Swimming Side ways

I have 3 female bettas living in a 45g community tank and recently I've noticed one of them has been swimming side ways. I know its not from fighting cos all them get along.... I thought she was going to die but she's still swimming around and eating for the last few days.

Does anyone know what's wrong with her? Should I quarantine her?
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:12 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Yes QT her & fast her for a few days. I would add 1 tsp per gallon of pure Epsom salt (pre-dissolved) to her QT tank. It could be a simple SB issue which fasting & epsom salt will likely take care of.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 AM   #3 
alunjai

Would aquarium salt work too? I don't have any epsom salt at hand. Sorry, by SB do you mean swim bladder? How does that affect her swimming and how did she get it? Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

You need Epsom salt as it acts as a laxative. Yes I mean swim bladder, it can happen if they over eat or get constipated. The tummy bloats & puts pressure on the swim bladder. QT, Fasting & Epsom salts will tell you if that's all it is or if its something more.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #5 
alunjai

Ah right... Not sure where I can get hold of Epsom salt in Hong Kong but I'll try. At the moment I've kept her in QT and will fast her for a few days and see what happens...

Thanks for that.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Here in the states you can purchase it at pretty much any store; grocery, drug store/pharmacy, target type. Its usually in the first aid section & relatively cheap, just make sure there are no dyes or perfumes in it. Keep me posted on how she is, good luck.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Epsom salt is just magnesium sulfate. It's used for soaking injuries like sprains, as well as a laxative. It's also used a lot for horses and other animals. So if you can't find it at a local pharmacy or grocery store, try calling a veterinary clinic. It should NOT be expensive. Look for 100% magnesium sulfate. (No dyes, perfumes or additives.) To give you an idea, it costs about $1.50 per pound in the US. (About $1.50 USD per 0.45 kg.)

(Aquarium salt is generally used for external issues. Epsom salt is used for internal problems, such as bloating.)

Edited to add: Do a Google search for "Epsom salt Hong Kong." When I did this, the results came up with several forum discussions on where to find epsom salt in Hong Kong, and also listed several pharmacies that carried it (but I don't know how far they are from your location).

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 02-24-2013 at 01:27 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #8 
alunjai

I will try and have a look after work tonight. Thanks.

Tags
swimming side ways