Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

Black Worm Food

I just bought some black worms on line. I hope to use them to help ready the breeding pair, plus I hope to culture some for the fry.
I've read 6 or so articles about culturing black worms. They all say "feed them fish food". HUH??? What kind of fish food? There are betta pellets, algae wafers, veggie-based foods, and oh, about A BILLION other kinds! I can't believe that such a basic need is neglected in all these articles! Are black worms vegetarian, carnivourous, or both?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Blackworms cultures grow incredibly slowly. I think they double once every couple of months or so.

Really most people recommend that if you are feeding them daily buy them and store them in your fridge as you are not going to produce enough to feed all your fish.

With that said, I used to keep some blackworms in a tank that had a thin layer of gravel on the bottom and was kept in the coldest part of the house. I used an airstone to oxygenate the water and dropped in decaying IAL and mulm for the worms to eat.

I think just generic betta pellets would be fine. I believe blackworms are pretty much scavengers of whatever they can find. I have a little colony going in my goldfish tank and I hardly remove any feces out of the gravel when I siphon because I think the blackworms eat it all.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #3 
Xaltd1

I have a little colony going in my goldfish tank and I hardly remove any feces out of the gravel when I siphon because I think the blackworms eat it all.[/quote]

Cool! I guess they'd never make it in the betta tank.

I was going to have them in my veggie crisper in the fridge. "They" say to keep some @ room temp. I guess I can toss in a teeny bit of whatever fish food I have & see. Maybe a bit of gunk from a tank cleaning? Shedded cherry shrimp shell?
Old 02-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #4 
Xaltd1

"They" also say to line the bottom of the worm's tank with brown paper towels. I have lots of dried oak leaves; I wonder if that would be better? (I'm not sure what the paper towels are for, actually.)